1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4 New Vintage Basses @ Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spleenface92, May 12, 2010.

1. So, I walked into my local guitar center, and what should be hanging up in the used section but a 1976 Gibson Thunderbird (Natural finish), a 1965 Gibson SG Bass (EB-O?), a 1972 Fender Mustang Bass, and one of those 70's Gibson Les Paul Studio basses. Also there was a 1965 Gibson Firebird (with triple P-90's!). I'm resisting the urge to blow 10 grand on them all. I tried all but the EB-0. If they're still there, and I remember to bring a camera, I can take pics. Manchester, CT, if anyone's interested.

2. Oh baby yes, pictures please!!! :hyper:

3. I'd have to wait til this weekend. The mustang was a bit worn, but god, did it sound great. Apparently, all this vintage gear came within a 2 week span, and all from different people. There was also a 7 string Conklin Groove bass, and I immediately thought of JT. Didn't get to play it, though.

4. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    Not buying but what did the 76 tbird go for? :bag:

5. um....over 1k, but under 2k. It's on GC's website under used gear. just search bass, and set the radius to "10 miles" away from 06040. The mustang is around $1100. IIRC, the Tbird (with bicentennial bird on the pg, and old skool straploks) was around $1700. But don't quote me on it. I'd look it up.

6. I was interested in the mustang so i looked it up online, 1200$ and its a 1972. i am not that interested anymore but here is a picture.

[​IMG]

7. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    $1200 is a bit much for a 72'... now, get an original candy color/racing stripe... and we may talk.
    :D

8. The mustang sounded pretty nice, but it needed a good setup. KramerBassFan, I would do unspeakable things for the bass you talk about. :D

9. Yeah right. I still say their ridiculously high prices for these vintage pieces is a scam to artificially inflate the value of the company.

10. I still want the basses.

11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Ummm... dont know i bought my all original 73' telecaster from my local GC W/OHSC the string mute foam still there and all. I looked it up online from many bass strores that had them like mine. Although there were not many they (GC) were asking the bottom price for what they normally go for.

12. Oh, there's also a 1979 Kramer XL8. I immediately played tool on it.

13. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland

That sunburst looks like an abomination. Poorly matched woods?

14. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    I had an EB-O for a while... it was a pile of ****.

15. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    There is an 18K 57/58 P-bass that has been stripped, poorly refinned, and battered still hanging up in GC Manhattan for years now.

16. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    *And the most productive post of the year award goes to...

17. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    Haha. +1.

What's with that Mustang's wood? Odd stuff, right there. Is it just how they matched it?

18. Not sure but for a 72 tops i would pay is 1000$ and it would have to have an original case as well.

Oh and not be super fugly looking like that one

19. I was excited. There are NEVER vintage basses at my guitar center. Then all of a sudden, there are 4! and now 5. I was excited, even if the mustang was fugly.

20. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I'm sorry, but no Mustang is worth $1,200. I don't care how old or rare it may be.