1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4 Ohm 112: Why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scottfeldstein, Oct 11, 2019 at 5:40 PM.

1. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    So I've been snagging cheap 112 cabs on Reverb and Ebay lately. Once I find two or three that I like I'll get rid of any I don't like. It beats carrying around bigger, heavier cabs with my bad back. This is my strategy until such time as I can fund a pair of 12/6 Greenboys.

Anyway, one that I picked up recently is an Eden EX112. In pictures it looks ity bity. In real life it inspires a bit more confidence. I am going to take it to rehearsal tonight and start comparing cabs. And then I realized something. This cab? This 112 cab? It's a 4 Ohm cab.

Who would do such a thing? Why would anyone want such a cab in four Ohm configuration? That was probably the reason I got it so cheap - nobody in their right mind would want it!

I suppose somewhere there's someone in an acoustic group and a GK MB200 amp who needs all 200w into that 112. Or something. But the rest of the world would want 8 Ohms.

2. Or as an extension to a 4 ohm combo with series extension jack.

3. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    If you were trying to get by with one cab, then a 4 ohm would be the way to do it. My head can actually run four of them.

4. Only necessary to be 4 ohm single if you have a tiny amp as OP said.

5. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I own one of the 110 models and it's a fine little cab. The one I got said 4 Ohms on the box, but the cab itself has a plate on the back below the input jack that says 6 Ohms/300 Watts...but I totally get you questioning why not just make them all 8 Ohms?? FWIW, there used to be and still may be an 8 Ohm version.

It's my guess that it was available that way to use with little heads (like the GK MB 200 or something in that range) to get the most out of the amp since the cab does not seem to be highly efficient. We also have a lot of amp choices these days that operate at 2 Ohms, so driving two cabs would be no issue for many folks.

That single cab and an MB200 or 500 sounds really good in every situation I've used them in. Maintain reasonable expectations for a single, budget priced 110/112 and you will not be disappointed IME.

BOOG and Basically Bob like this.
  6. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Actually, so can mine! At least my main amp can. But still. I just can't even with a 4 Ohm 112.

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Duke's original TC-112 was like that; at the time he designed it lots of the Greenboy crew were finding 500 watt@ 4 ohm amps to not quite fully cut it into less sensitive FRFR-ish cabs like the fEARful 12/6. I experienced that myself, and have ended up using my 4 ohm TC112 by itself for just about everything for 7+ years now. But if all the newer 700-900 watt compact heads had been out back then I would've definitely gone with an 8 ohm cab. Once Duke depleted his stash of the custom 4 ohm Kappalites he ported to stock 8 ohm ones as the default, FWIW. And I defaulted to a 700 watt/4 ohm amp, so I have to be a little careful, but it sounds pretty fab.

BTW, I used one of those EX112 cabs at an open mic recently and liked it quite a bit. The guy who owns it has an 8 ohm one, plus an 8 ohm EX110, which I've also played through and liked.

HolmeBass, RColie, Wisebass and 4 others like this.
  8. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I'm just mad because I bought the wrong cab. With my main rig I'd be putting 450 watts into it. I'd probably have to keep the volume knob at 1. Sigh.

9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I have been bridging into my little 4 Ohm 2x10 with 1000 watts for over a decade. It sounds fantastic and allows me to use one cab for any gig. I can't ever see wanting an 8 Ohm cab.

Jason Hollar and dabis like this.
  10. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Well, I'll give it a try. I can always run it at 4 Ohms with one side of my amp and run another cab at 8 Ohms on the other side. If I match volume it should be fine.

HolmeBass and Passinwind like this.
  11. Stu62

Stu62

Mar 22, 2019
    Alberta
    There’s a good chance that it could easily be reconfigured to 8 ohms

12. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Really? How would one go about doing that?

13. Stu62

Stu62

Mar 22, 2019
    Alberta
    You have to find out the impedance of each speaker individually. 2 -8 ohm speakers in series is 16 ohms.
    2 -8 ohm speakers in parallel is 4 ohms.
    Depending on what you are starting with, it may be possible to get a total of 8 ohms

14. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Maybe there's a misunderstanding? This is a 112 cab. There's only the one 12" speaker in it. I assume that means it's a 4 Ohm speaker, yes?

HolmeBass, dkelley and gitfiddl like this.
  15. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    You might snag another and run them both in series for 8 ohms.

16. a 4 ohm cab will often work in the amp's circuit to draw much more power.

my pf-350 is 250 watts into 8 ohms, 350 watts into 4 ohms. if I'd planned more carefully, I'd have bought a 4 ohm driver for my cab instead of 8 ohm... not that I ever have lacked volume thanks to my super efficient speaker.

But yea, I'd ALWAYS use a 4 ohm cab if possible, not an 8 ohm cab, since they typically will be slightly louder or at least as loud as an 8 ohm cab with most amps.

If running a tube power amp, be sure to change the output transformer tap to be for 4 ohms, though.

jnewmark likes this.
  17. nope, not if it's a 112.

18. Stu62

Stu62

Mar 22, 2019
    Alberta
    You’re right. I missed that.

19. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    I have a pair of 8 ohm 410 cabs. They sound great on their own(individually). They sound crazy used together at 4 ohms.

I just picked up a 410 4 ohm cab.

I like it. Loud, low and can handle highs well.

4 ohm cabs can be cool. Mine is.

By the way all of them are Gallien Krueger.

dabis likes this.
  20. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    I intentionally have a 4 ohm 112 (Schroeder Mini 12+L) because a. my favorite amps are lower wattage (250-300 watts), and b. I prefer to have one small cab for my small to medium gigs (the Schroeder) and a larger but still light-ish 4 ohm cab for bigger shows (currently a Bergantino AE410). I just like dealing with single cabs, rather than a modular approach. I know I'm in the minority with that, but I'm glad a good 4 ohm 112 is available. And that Schroeder only weighs 19 pounds, so with a 3 pound micro amp, I have a 22 pound rig that carries bigger rooms than I had originally expected. I only bring out the 410 for big shows, or maybe a medium room if there's no FOH support.