4 ohm 12 bass speker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kevinlee, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Does anyone know who makes or sells a 12" 4ohm bass speaker?
    Also what about 4 ohm 1x12 bass cabs?

2. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    EA Wizzy. 4 ohm box 29lbs. The low end
    kills for its size and weight. 1x12,
    with a "wizzer" cone for highs.
  3. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    The Avatar CB112 is a 1x12 that is available as either 4 or 8 ohm. They are $189 direct from avatar, maybe a little less new from ebay.

It says he uses an Eminence Delta LF, but the Eminence info says it's only available off the shelf as an 8 ohm. He must either have it custom for 4, or use a different driver.
  4. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Does the voice coil determine the ohms rating of a speaker? And if so, is it possible to have an 8ohm driver reconed into a 4omh driver?

5. Both questions: yes. A better word for ohms rating is impedance, BTW.

A recone can cost you up to half as much as a new speaker, because it's all manual labour. Doing this yourself without coil centering tools and the exact right glue would be very unwise.
  6. The Ampeg Portabass 1x12" cab is 4 ohms.
  7. I've got a couple of the 4 ohm CB112 Avatar cabinets.I love em,their light,handle a lot of power and get pretty loud.They sound good enough that I keep my Eden 210XLT at home for most gigs mostly because the Avatars are easier to carry.I've bought raw speakers from Dave at Avatar and he had really good prices on them.He's using the 4 ohm 12"Delta LF so I'm sure you could buy them from him if thats what you want.
  8. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Yea I've gotten some stuff from Avatar/Dave in the past and he's always been easy to deal with. That's probably what I would have done, but I ended up getting a 4 ohm black widow speaker out of an old pa cab off ebay for a pretty good price, so I'll see how that works out. The ampeg portabass 1x12 cabs are tempting with a price of $299 and how light weight they are, but I just don't know how much punch they would have in a box that small.

Anyway I thank you all for the info...