Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 ohm 12" cab?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by brooklynbass, Sep 5, 2004.

1. I just got an EA Wizzy to use with a Clarus. I'd read about the midrange bump in the EA cabs, but it turns out to be much more pronounced than I expected. Even using a Fishman Platinum EQ and the mid slider all the way down, it is still a little too midrangy...maybe it's just my bass, but I never had this problem with my GK.

Are there any other 4 ohm 12" cabs out there? I've read mixed reviews about the Ampeg Portabass, but that's the only other one I know of. So many people seem to mention all these 8 ohm cabs (Bergantino, Epifani, EA CXL etc.) to use with the Clarus, but I really want a 4 ohm cab to get more power out of the head (which is a main reason why I got it). Also, does anyone know why most 12" cabs are 8 ohms?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
  3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Ampeg Porta Bass cabs are all 4 ohm. They are super lightweight, and sound quite good. I think you will find it to have a bit less midrange than the Wizzy.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  5. After hearing all the raves, I tried out EA and was very disappointed. Like you, I momentarily questioned my bass. Wrong. Two years later, same test, same crappy result. But then, remember I'm the guy who sent back $1,800 worth of Schertler equipment, finding it unstisfactory.

6. So, Mr. pickypants, what in tarnation are you using, what with EA and Schertler not being to your liking?

(just curious)

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That's MISTER Mr. pickypants to you, bub.

8. Doubting Thomas -
    I've been using a one-of-a-kind pickup that Bob Gollihur got K&K to make for me, and an AI Contra.
    I'm trying out a PickUpTheWorld (with a money back guarantee), and an AMT is on backorder (surprise, surprise).
    I'm considering a different amp, but one thing at a time.

9. Dono - You've got PM.