4 ohm 15" cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jarrod, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    why am i having such a hard time finding 4 ohm 15's?

here's my problem: I want to buy an Eden WT-800, which is 400 watts per side into 4 ohms

my thought is that i want to get a 4 ohm 410 and a 4 ohm 15 to get 400 watts into each one... finding a 4 ohm 410 is easy, but as for the 15:

eden doesn't make one
    aguilar doesn't make one
    swr doesn't make one
    ampeg only makes one 4 ohm model out of the five or so 15's that they make

is there some kind of problem with 4 ohm 15's which prevents companies from making them? are they unstable or something? i don't understand why no one has them

now, if i buy a WT-800 and use it with a 4 ohm 410 and an 8 ohm 15, how much quieter will the 15 be? since it will be getting half the wattage as the 410, i assume it will be pretty noticeable, which i don't want

i'd appreciate any help you guys could give me!

PS, does anyone know of any makers of 4 ohm 15's?
  2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Peavey makes 'em.
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    yeah i have a peavey bw 115 thats 4 ohms. i know that carvin makes them but i wouldn't recommend that you get one of them...
  4. zoran

May 10, 2002
    ebs, glockenklang make 4-ohms 15" cabs
  5. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
  6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i've never heard a carvin that i liked... i have played through their combos (which i like better than everything else) 2x10 cabinets, 1x15 cabs and a 4x10 cab. they all lacked significant low end. actually the 2x10 cab had the best of any of them. everything else sounded tinny and harsh at low volume, this was with highs cut as i usually do. i just couldn't get even close to the sound i wanted at a decent volume without them completely farting out on me. these were all used of course but then again they sat there forever too. the 4x10 went and came back... mind you, i'm not even recommending anyone get a peavey. i just got it because i've had too much of my stuff break in the last 3 months and it was all i could afford... i liked it much better than the carvin though.

not trying to start a war..... ;)
  7. Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    thanks for the ideas guys, and keep em coming if anyone has any more!

i also just got the idea to use two ampeg SVT410HLF's... i like 15's because of the low end, but i'm thinking two SVT410HLF's would have insane low end as well... more so than the 810E since they're tuned so low
  8. I'm going to have to concur with FNA4 here. I've had the, well, I won't say misfortune, but the opportunity to use a lot of Carvin cabs including their floor monitors and PA cabs and without exception I was disappointed. I think there was a time when Carvin was a good value, not great gear, but a bargain for the price. So many other manufacturers, Avatar, Yorkville, Peavey, Yamaha, QSC to name a few who have gone to market with cabs and amps that have superior performance and reliability at near Carvin prices that it doesn't seem to make sense to go to Carvin anymore.