4 ohm 15in cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phat Ham, Jan 26, 2001.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Are there any companies out there that make 4 ohm 15 inch cabs besides Carvin?
  2. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I don't remember the brand name... But there is a company called speakerhole.com that sells 2x15 cabs on ebay for $129 + shipping. They are 4 ohm and I think rated at 600w.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Peavey's 115 cab is 4 ohms.

As you've probably noticed, most are 8 ohms, but don't sweat it. I assume you want to get the most wattage out of your amp, but most solid state amps put out about 65-70% as much power into 8 ohms as 4 ohms. Assuming that, the dB loss is less than 2 dB which means you won't hear much difference in volume at all.
  4. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Actually, the Peavey 115BX BW is available in 4 AND 8 ohm configs. Sweet!
  5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    With the way most power amps can go down to 2 ohms it seems like more companies would make 4 ohm cabs instead of 8 ohms.
  6. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I really like my Carvin 4-ohm 15. I use it bridged with a 1000-watt Carvin head, or in stereo with an 8-ohm 15. The Carvin cab is really light weight for a 15.
  7. A 4 ohm cabinet uses twice as much power as an eight and only produces 3 db more loudness with 1 db being smallist amount that the human ear can detect. If you use two 8 ohm cabs you can place one on each side of the stage this gives you better stage coverage and better audience penetration. You can just carry one speaker to smaller gigs. and if you have a two ohm amp you can use four 8 ohm cabinets.
  8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Yeah, but what if I only want to buy one 15 in cabinet and get the most out of my amp from it?
  9. wadmutter

Jan 27, 2001
    Actuall Most Humans cant hear a 1 db difference, it takes 3 db to notice that the level changed...