1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4 ohm 1x15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mordechai, Jan 26, 2012.

1. mordechai

mordechai

Dec 8, 2007
    Maine
    So I recently posted looking for 8 ohm 115 cabs with 300 watts or more. As well as a few good suggestions and links to things for sale, I got the obligatory "that's not hard to find."

Turns out I'm an idiot and I'm actually looking for a 4 ohm stand alone 1x15, 300 watts or more and I'd like to keep it under 300 bucks. Just some ideas as to what models to look out for.

Thanks I'll be in the corner if anyone needs me.

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Carvin

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Why exactly do you want 4 ohms? Volume gains will be minimal vs 8 ohms and you have no room for expansion?

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If that's 'so I can get all the watts out of my head', don't bother. Few 115s can actually make use of more than 200 watts, and none of them are at your price point.

5. mordechai

mordechai

Dec 8, 2007
    Maine
    What do you mean when you say few 15s can make use of more than 200 watts?

6. mordechai

mordechai

Dec 8, 2007
    Maine
    Oh and yes it's because I want to get more out of my head because right now I'm only getting 175 at 8 ohms. The obvious thing would be to add another 10 inch cab. But I really love the sound of a single 15. Though I have never played any of the 15/6 cabs or anything like that though. Still interested to hear some ideas even if I can't afford them.

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Your volume gains at 4 vs 8 ohms will hardly be noticeable. Get an 8 ohm, then get a matching one later if you need more volume.

IMO a 4 ohm cab (115, 210, 410) is only useful if your head can handle a 2 ohm load.

8. He means that the power ratings have little to do with the useful power a speaker can take without power compression (turning into unresponsive mud).
    You want more sound-you need more speakers period. That small gain even if your speaker could make use of it would not be that noticeable.

Buy this and find out for yourself? http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BR115-4

9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Yah man a single 15 has a limit to how loud it gets before it hits distortion. So a single 15 wont do much more than 200watts dont get scared its a real world number not the over rated specs that manufactures like to give.
    A 15 rated at 300 watts is more like the thermal limit, how much heat it can take over a time period. But it will get distorted way before it hits thermal limit. at 150/200 watts.

A 4ohm speaker might get a few extra watts, but your amps 8ohm rating will take a single 15 to its limit.

Most 4ohm 15's have less sensitivity than their 8ohm versions.
    so they need more watts to get to the same place. The same place you get now.

Its great that you love the sound of a single 15, so 2 15's would may you very very happy . then a 2x15 will be 4ohms.
    thinking the 4ohm load gave you more "watts" but really adding more speaker or cone area to move air makes it louder.
    You need to move more air. Watts are needed for a clean signal the speakers do all the work.

Use matching speakers endless threads about matching speakers. 2x10 and 1x15 is not a wonderful combination.
    people will claim it works.......but

Matching 2x15 it really works wonders man.

10. mordechai

mordechai

Dec 8, 2007
    Maine
    Great stuff, thank you. I definitely need to rethink where I'm going with my gear. The group I'm in is growing in members, so a 2x15 may not be unreasonable. I used to have an Acoustic 2x15 which I loved.

I'm using a genz benz shuttle 3. I would like something different, but even though we're now a 6 piece. Sometimes we still do coffee house gigs as a duo. So my thinking was get a bigger 4 ohm cab for bigger shows. Maybe even a single 15 at 8 ohms would give the presence I'm looking for.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Just use a pair of 8ohm 15's, one for small gigs, both for big ones.

12. Get two 115 cabs, one for small stuff and play both 8 ohm 115's (for a 4 ohm load) for bigger gigs. Easy.

Will33 got there first this time :)

13. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    What Bogey, Will, and B-string said.

14. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Read this. All of it.

Barefaced Bass - Technical Information

If every manufacturer put this information out there at least half the questions here wouldn't need to be asked.