4 ohm/8 ohm 410 cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve S, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I currently play with an 8 ohm Peavey 410 TVX speaker cabinet and an Eden WT 550 amp. While I like the sound of the Peavey, I sometimes reach my limits with volume. Would getting a 4 ohm Avatar Delta 410 improve my volume by allowing the full power of the Eden into it? I don't know what the Avatar sounds like but people on this board seem to really like them.
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Assuming the two cabinets are very similar in efficiency and tuning, the difference would be somewhere between negligible and modest.

If it was going to cost you more than a decent meal for two, I'd consider other options.
  3. Per the previous post... cabinet sensitivity is key... more watts into a less sensitive cab can mean less volume.

However.... if, for example, you got your same exact cab in 4ohm version, you MIGHT notice quite a difference if you are really pushing your amp at 8ohms. An additional couple of hundred watts can mean the difference between a nice, punchy, full sounding low E and a compressed, distorted one.
  4. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    In my experience with comparing numerous cabs in their 4 and 8 ohm versions, you won't hear a difference. The best (and probably only) way to get more volume is to add more cabs. Since you like the sound of the Peavey, adding another one would give you a very noticeable increase in sound level.

Remember, if you want more volume, add more cabs, not more power.
  5. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thanks Guys! I appreciate the information about adding additional speakers.
  6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
  7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
  8. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    +1... Get an additional speaker on top of what you already own.
    Maybe get a little bette quality one so in the future you can upgrade the Peavy when you hvae the funds.

Sensitivity is where it is at. Also, if you have 4x10 already, get a 1x15 to thicken things up or vice versa or even another 4x10 if you are all about slapping and stuff.

2 8 ohm cabinets will come out to b 4 ohms when hooked up to your 4 ohm amp head. If they were hooked up only one at a time, then it would need an 8 ohm load.

at 4 ohms, your amp will put out twice as much wattage.