Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 ohm 8 ohm question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by danny3k, May 26, 2001.

1. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    Hi there, I'm new at Talk Bass, but I have a small question, can I modify a cab so I can switch between playing with one cab at 4 ohms, and with two cabs at 8 ohms, on the same cab??????

2. Welcome aboard.

You have to be a bit clearer, though. You want a switch that either - puts the speakers in the cab on one input jack - or - puts the speakers in the same cab on two inputs - Am I correct?

There are a few requirements for this. First, the cab will have to have multiple speakers (duh). Second, the speakers will have to have the correct impedance. In a cab with 4 speakers, all of them need to be 8 ohms each, that way you can make 2 pairs of 2 speakers in parallel (4 ohms each pair), and switch them in series to another input. With 2 speakers they each need to be 4 ohms.

Hope this helps.

3. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    I was a little confused about using that, I have a 4 x 10" cab, and it is 8 ohms, also I have a 1 x 15" 8 ohms too, but the thing is that I will use most of the time the 4 x 10" cab, so I can modify it to be 4 ohms (2 x 10" & 2 x 10"), when I'm playing alone, and when I have to play at bigger gigs I'm gonna put it 8 ohms, so that with the other cab It converts at 4 ohms. Is that right???

Excuse my english, is my secondary language, I'm better speaking english