1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4 ohm 8 ohm question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by danny3k, May 26, 2001.

1. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    Hi there, I'm new at Talk Bass, but I have a small question, can I modify a cab so I can switch between playing with one cab at 4 ohms, and with two cabs at 8 ohms, on the same cab??????

2. Welcome aboard.

You have to be a bit clearer, though. You want a switch that either - puts the speakers in the cab on one input jack - or - puts the speakers in the same cab on two inputs - Am I correct?

There are a few requirements for this. First, the cab will have to have multiple speakers (duh). Second, the speakers will have to have the correct impedance. In a cab with 4 speakers, all of them need to be 8 ohms each, that way you can make 2 pairs of 2 speakers in parallel (4 ohms each pair), and switch them in series to another input. With 2 speakers they each need to be 4 ohms.

Hope this helps.

3. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    I was a little confused about using that, I have a 4 x 10" cab, and it is 8 ohms, also I have a 1 x 15" 8 ohms too, but the thing is that I will use most of the time the 4 x 10" cab, so I can modify it to be 4 ohms (2 x 10" & 2 x 10"), when I'm playing alone, and when I have to play at bigger gigs I'm gonna put it 8 ohms, so that with the other cab It converts at 4 ohms. Is that right???

Excuse my english, is my secondary language, I'm better speaking english