1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4 ohm and 8 ohm in stereo??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blueacid4l, Apr 25, 2009.

1. blueacid4l

blueacid4l Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2006
    I'm moving away from heads and going modular. I have a tech question, I'm not extremely PA savvy.

Let's say I have 2 cabs- an 8 ohm 350 watt and a 4 ohm 500 watt cab. I'm looking to get a power amp that can suit all my needs. I'm looking at a qsc plx2402.

In Stereo it runs 425 @ 8ohms per side and 700 @ 4 ohms per side. On smaller gigs, I'd want to just use the 8 ohm - so I'd just use one side of the amp in stereo. BUT, can I run both cabs at the same time and the 8ohm cab would just get 425 watts and the other side with the 4ohm cab get 700 watts? That way I can use the L and R volumes to control the volumes of each cab and make sure they are balanced in volume due to the diff. wattage and ohmage? Once again, this isn't bridged with one cab output going out to the next, I realize THAT would be a 2.6 Ohm Load.

Any Advice would be great guys

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Yes, this works fine.

Don't try to separate your cabs on each side of the stage. That creates the worst possible cancellation/reinforcement situation in the room. Some people will hear very little bass, others will run away screaming.

It's best to stack the cabs, or put them as close together as possible.