Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 ohm avatar 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grindmore, Jul 16, 2002.

1. grindmore

grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    brooklyn
    thinking about ordering a 4 ohm 4x10 from avatar as my sole cab. does anyone use just one avatar 4x10. how does it work out? low end? punch? i have a B2R so i will be pushing this at 350 watts. i am not too much concerned about the volume because most of the large venues i will be playing will run me direct. any feedback would be appreciated.

2. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I just got an Avatar 4x10 (it's 8 ohms, cause I want to leave the door open for a 15" later). I'm driving it with a Carvin R1000(about 700 watts with 8ohms). Plenty of punch...even a solid bottom end (I play 5 string). We played a gig last week and it sounded great...definately worth every penny, since it's very affordable and built like a "tank". I will buy another cab from Dave when/if I decide it's needed.

good luck!:D

3. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I got a 4 ohm 4x10,, love it!! Great sound,, definately loud enough with 1000 watts going into it. Ohmage is all about how many cabs you plan on running. I like the punch and volume of the 10s,, I don't plan on adding a 15. BUT if you like a deeper warmer sound,, you might want to go 8 ohm so you can add on later.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'd highly recommend staying with 8 ohm cabinets. Your B2R is rated 200 watts into 8 ohms, 350 into 4 ohms. It won't be much louder (if at all noticible) running 4 ohms rather than 8. Plus the amp will run cooler at 8 ohms and you'll have the option of adding another 8 ohm cabinet if the need arises...

B2Rs are notorious for running out of steam...probably due to the power supply not being able to keep up. Lightening the load on the power supply (i.e. running the amp at a higher impedance) is a good thing.

5. im just wondering cant you just easily rewire the cabinets to your required impedence specs when you need them?

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You can to a certain degree...

If you have a 4 ohm cabinet with 4 drivers, they're either 4 ohm speakers (unlikely) or 16 ohm speakers (probably). Assuming that they're 16 ohm speakers and that you want all four operating at the same time, you could wire the cabinet so that it's either a 4 ohm cabinet (all speakers in parallel) or 16 ohms (two paralleled series combinations)...just like a modern Marshall 4x12 (or 64 ohms).

If the speakers are 8 ohms each, you can only get 2 ohms or 8 ohms (or 32 ohms).

There's no way to directly take four 16 ohm speakers and end up with 8 ohms. You could create a "stereo" cabinet with two 8 ohm pairs (again, just like a modern Marshall 4x12) but that's all.

Of course you could use an impedance matching autotransformer, but a good one (if you could find one commercially) would cost nearly as much as an other Avatar 410.

7. Onesidezero

Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002

Whoa, that's the exact same rig I'm going to be running! I just sold my Carvin 4x10 and ordered and 8ohm Avatar 4x10...I couldn't sell my Carvin 1x15 :( , but if I manage to sell it and if I dig the Avatar, I might get another 8ohm Avatar 4x10. 1000 watts into 8 10" speakers. mmmm. :D :D