4 Ohm cab vs 8 Ohm cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BLonge, Jan 15, 2005.

1. BLonge

Jan 8, 2005
    aight,i just bought the peavey firebass 700. its got 700watts @ 2 ohms, like 400 @ 4 and 275 @ 8. my question is..should i get an 8 ohm or 4 ohm cab first? i want to get a 4x10 and i was looking at the ashdown and its rated at 300 watts @8 ohms. ive noticed that the 4 ohm cabs are rated for lower watts though. i want to keep the price pretty low as well.

also,can i hook more than 2 cabs up? will it be possible to get my setup running at 2 ohms eventualy if i put on 3- 8 ohm cabs?

ps. im a newbie at this ohm stuff
  2. spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    your options:
    1 2ohm cab
    2 4ohm cabs
    3 8ohm cabs

Do u want to upgrade later? if so don't get a two ohm cab. Why not get a 4ohm 4x10 and a 4ohm 1x15?
    you got to think to the future before you decide on your ohmage.
  3. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I would check out avatarspeakers.com they offer each cab in either 8ohm or 4ohm. Just base your decision on your needs, if your going to be playing smaller sized venues an 8ohm cab at 300watts will do just fine, thats what I use, but if you know ur going to need more power get 2 4ohm cabs, that way u can either bring 1 cab and run at 400watts or bring both for the full 700watts. I definatly wouldnt get just one 2 ohm cab though, no way to expand on it.
  4. jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Three 8 ohm cabinets gives a load of 2.66, so it is a slight mismatch like the Fender bandmaster amps had. Solid state power amps are not as forgiving as tube power amps inregards to mismatches, and mismatches always sound a little different than perfect matches, good/bad is all opinion on this.
  5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Not really. The concept of "mismatch" doesn't apply to solid state amps in the sense you're talking about. As long as you're within the acceptable range (i.e., above the minimum acceptable load), the amp doesn't care if you're at supposedly fractional loads (not that speakers present a constant load anyway). If a SS amp can run at a minimum 2 ohm load, it has no more problem with 2.66 than it would have with 2 (probably less, actually, for other reasons). SS amps don't need to see supposedly discrete impedance intervals like 2, 4, 8, 16--those are just convenient measuring points that coincide with common cabinet rated impedances. It's with tube amps that you try to match the cabinet impedance with the amplifier setting as best you can.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    + 5 million