4 ohm Goliath III vs. Goliath Sr. vs. Henry the 8x8

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Jul 20, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'm currently running a goliath jr and triad, and it's not cutting it live. the triad isn't loud enough and the goliath jr doesn't like to handle low B's at the kind of volume i need. i'm running 350w/speaker.

so, i want get one cab that is loud enough and handles enough low end for my big shows. the question is - if i'm bridging my poweramp mono @ 1000w - will the goliath 3 be significantly quieter than the sr? what about the henry? would the henry be able to handle 1000w - i'm in a LOUD band that plays big shows and i rarely get a monitor for my bass.
  2. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I had the same problem with the Golaith Jr.-Triad setup.Awesome tone but just couldn't keep up on stage.It's kind of funny, I went into guitar center the other night and played a Bass 750 they had hooked up to a Triad.I had that thing cranked and it sounded like a practice amp.Then I played a SM 500 they had hooked up to a Goliath Sr.I had the gain half way up and couldn't turn the master past two because the whole room was shaking.My point is i'm beginning to realize that it's more about the cabinet(sensitivity,speaker surface) you have than how many watts you have.I mean you could put 2000 watts into a triad and it still wouldn't be loud enough for what you're doing.Therefore, I reccomend the Goliath Sr. for your situation.I have and love the Henry but if you want volume the Sr. is noticeably louder with the same amp and the same settingsI A/B'd them myself with a 750 at SWR.Also you have the power to push the SR. to it's full power rating without fear of blowing the speakers.If your still thinking about getting the Henry think about this.If you blow a speaker in the Henry it will cost you a $100 for a new one and about the same for a recone which SWR won't do.Thats $800 to replace all of the speakers in a cab that only cost about $800 new!!!!The SR. on the the other hand can have it's 10's reconed by SWR at a cost of $64 a piece.That's why i'm trying to sell my Henry and buy a SR.I wouldn't even think af a single 4-10.If you want to go with 4-10's I think your only option would be to get two 8 Ohm Goliath's .I just prefer the simplicityof rolling one cabinet up on stage compared to two cabinets.Good luck.
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Given your circumstances, I'd go with the Sr., if you can afford it. It will move more air than your other two stated options and I found the Sr. I used to own (and wished I STILL owned) to be punchy and articulate...and LOUD.
  4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I own both the Henry and the Goliath Sr. Where did you hear the 8's were $100 a piece????? The guy I bought the cab off of claimed they were like 30 some bucks a piece, for the OEM celestions. I haven't really had the chance to try the senior out in a band setting yet, I just got it saturday, and we practice on tuesdays. Got a steal (at least I think!!!!!) on the senior. 2000 model, in mint condition, with a calzone anvil style road case, and a mint Bass 750 for $1200 cash. I'll keep ya posted after I get to try the rig Tuesday...can't wait! I'll be taking pics of the rig, IF my chrome grill for the henry EVER comes from SWR!!!!!!!
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

god yeah that's a steal.

thanks guys, confirmed what i'd already thought. now i just need to sell my cabs. :(
  6. Hate those chrome grills too!

I paid less then $30 each for 8 NEW Eights direct from SWR
    because I have a '93 Henry 8x8 and 'twas time.
  7. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    i love my henry, but i think the G.sr. will take more punishment achieve higher spl's. especially if you want to bridge that amp at 1000w, i'm afraid the henry might balk.

i'll tell ya what's loud, though. the other day at guitar center i played a bass 750 through a big bertha (2x15t). good lord. heheheh. i was suprised at how much articulation it had for a 2x15 cab. i mean, you can play fast notes and hear every one of them, no muddiness, and even no lack of upper mids and highs. impressive. i'm sure you can screw it all up with the e.q. though. ;)
  8. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Call SWR and find out for yourself.They don't make them with the Celestions anymore.The replacements(SWR Custom 8's) are made by Foster and are indeed close to $100 a piece.A recone kit for the kit for the Celestions from a speaker repair shop will cost about $90.SWR does not recone 8's anymore.The reason Donne got his 8's for $30 a piece is because there was some kind of screw up when he sent his cab for a recone.
  9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Hate those chrome grills too!

Oh man, I LOVE the chrome.......the Henry has the black one on it now, I ordered the chrome for it a while ago to replace it!
  10. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    I hate to rain on your parade, but i played through a Big Bertha about 3 weeks ago, and my E string made the speakers pop the grill... I have been very dissappointed with SWR gear, only cab that I like is the Henry... and even then I would take my Sonic 4x10 over it. Jason, check out newer peavey 410s before you decide.. Dont let old relationships with Peavey bring that down, you never know, it could be just what you want.... I doubted their cabs until i played the new stuff, the 8x10 im going to order blew away the megoliath.. or try out some other brands.. Just an option.:)
  11. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I once saw an Australian Metal band called Earth. Their bassplayer used a triad and a henry with a Mo bass head. It was one of the loudest and best sounding rigs i have ever heard. Hell of a bassplayer too.
  12. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Hey, Anbassist. I will gladly take your old grill off your hands for a price. By the way the Sr. has that nice metal plate at it's base like the Acoustic 360s. Protects the bottom or not necessary? Is there a difference between old and new Henry's in sound. There are the speakons but is there tweeter protection on old ones?
  13. Re: the Henry -

The New SWR Customs are actually better then the Celestions IMHO. You can get more volume out of them, e.g., even more punch.

The early Henry's had no "light bulb" tweeter protection. This is what I personally own and prefer.
    No Speakons, just Banana.

The Le Son Tweeters are cheap enough to replace, but I've never had any problem with mine in ten years.
  14. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah...i've tried about everything short of aguilar, bergantino, epifani, and accugroove...and i like swr the best. (and i personally couldn't hear any reason to take the peavey 8x10 over the megoliath but it's not my money, right? ;) ) plus it's reasonably affordable vs those ones i mentioned above. (sure i'd probably really dig an epifani 2x10 + 2x12 but no way could i afford it)

and donne - you'd think when they changed speakers they would have used something with more power handling. the henry sounds so good it's a shame it can't handle around 800 watts - i'd buy one without a second thought.
  15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    My Henry does not have the speakon connection, or the light bulb circuit. I also have a new leson tweet on order for it, as the old got toasted on a day where my rig somehow became house rig, NEVER AGAIN! We were the headlining band, and I showed up early to get my stuff there and set up. 1st band showed up, and some burnt out moron walked up to it with his bass just staring away like he had no clue. So I went up to help him, and he said he was told they needed no amps, he was supposedly told there would be one there for him. 5 other bands later (also on my rig!!!!!) we played. No tweets. Not an expensive part, but it's the point. Watched morons unplugging their basses all day without turning volume on amp to zero, sending a nice POP through my cab (and the PA for that matter), and one guy drug my 2 day old sansamp DI driver all over the concrete stage through their entire hour set doing his 80's hair band moves. Like I said, NEVER AGAIN!!!! Enough rambing, back to the subject at hand. The Goliath Senior, and the Henry are IDENTICAL in size and build, the front board where the speakers are loaded is the only difference. I think the metal skid plate on the idea is a good idea, keep your covering where it belongs. By the way, I don't think anyone would be interested in the old grill, its beat pretty bad from the previous owner......dented, dinged, bowed, bent....you name it. It maches all the cigarette burns nice on top of the covering as well. When will people learn to take care of their equipment????????? Also, what is a good way to tell someone "sorry about your luck" the next time they ask, or EXPECT to use my gear? One guy actually had the nerve to ask if he could use my 'Ray, thats where I had to draw the line!
  16. I bridge my DCM1000 into my new style Henry all the time. Sweet tone and the cab never even breaks a sweat.

1000 watts no problemo!
  17. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    I wish they sold the Sr. with the beige grill cloth and white tolex like Jeff Ament intended it to be:D. It's still an awesome cab...I'd definitely get it if I had the build to carry it as much as I need to. It seemed to have a lot more low end than most of the SWR cabs.
    In conclusion : I'd say to go Sr.
  18. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Does the henry develop more low bass than the Sr.?
  19. Yup.

Goliath Sr.: -3dB @ 55Hz and 14KHz, 115 lbs.

Henry: -6dB @ 35Hz and 18KHz, 100 lbs.

The Henry spec.'s are the widest range cabs that SWR makes.

And 55Hz from the eights have punch.

Bartender: "Turn it down!" "The bass is vibrating the bar so much that the customers beers are going flat..."