1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4 Ohm or 8 Ohm cab with my LMII?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr M, Apr 7, 2009.

1. I've recently bought a Little Mark II from another TB'er and I'll locally buy cabs (due to high shipping and taxes) to use with it. My choices are limited.

Which one should I get? MarkBass 102P 4 Ohm ? or 8 Ohm? The distributor here will order from Italy according to my decision.

LMII is 300W RMS @ 8 ohm, 500W RMS @ 4 ohm

102P is 400W RMS both @ 8 ohm and 4 ohm.
    As I know nothing about amps and reading countless threads here in TB, my confusion is even bigger now. If I buy 102P @ 4 Ohm, the amp will be more powerful than the cab.
    If I buy 102P @8 Ohm, this time it will be underpowered which may damage the cab (or not, there is no consensus about it).

Another cab that I can buy is Hartke 4x10" aluminum cab but probably won't do this as long as someone here highly recommends that combo (I mean LMII+Hartke 4x10").

Thanks

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    If you decide to go with a small cab (1x12 or 2x10) I would get the 8 ohm version. That way you can add another later if you so desire. The 4 ohm 2x10 won't be significantly louder than the 8 ohm cab and won't leave you any room to add another cab if you need more volume.

If you go with a larger cab (4x10, 2x12, or larger) then get a 4 ohm cab. A good 4x10 or 2x12 should give you plenty of oomph.

My personal preference would be for the larger cab (though not necessarily the Hartke you mentioned as I have no personal experience with those), but do what works best for you.

Happy hunting :bassist:

3. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    the previous post was right on IMO. I personally would go with 2 8 ohms cabs for the flexibility. Possibly a 210 and a 112 or (2) 210's. Depends on personal taste. I am running a rig with a 210 and 112 but plan to go to switch the 112 to another 210. I seem to like the sound of the 10's. Either way you will be able to carry one or two cabs depending on your needs.

One other choice... Get a Schroeder 1212L in 4 ohms and have a light cab that will cover fairly everything. Read the post on this forum on the Schroeders. There is a 1212L in the talkbass classifieds.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to that, the correct answer.

5. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    yes...we have a winning answer right there. I prefer a 4 ohm 4x10.

I have my LMII going into my Ampeg 4x10 (HLF) and it can dislodge dormant eggs in your girlfriends Fallopian tubes, so make sure to use protection the next time you, uhh...baww chicka woww woww

6. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009

Sig worthy!
    :D

7. Nice one :D thanks, I'll keep this in my mind.

Thanks with the suggestions. Schroeder ultralites could be nice but AFAIK it is not sold here and having it shipped to the other side of the ocean will cost more than the cab anyway :(. And the 4x10 Hartke's here are all 8 Ohm if I'm not wrong, I'm gonna check it soon.