4 ohm or 8 ohm - Preamp/poweramp rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Weenie Boy, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Weenie Boy

Weenie Boy

Sep 22, 2004
    When putting together a preamp/power amp bass rig what speaker ohm ratings would you selected and why? I envision a 4x10 or 2x12 to cover most things, but want the option of being to add another cabinet if the situation warrants it.

Option 1 - 4 ohm cabinets.

This option allows one to bridge the power amp into one cabinet and run theamp in dual mono into two 4 ohm cabinets. Level could be adjusted on each cabinet via output levels on amp.

Option 2 - 8 ohm cabinets.

This option still allows one to bridge the power amp into one cabinet. Even thought it's an 8 ohm cabinet, a big enough power amp bridged into it will drive it hard. Two 8 ohm cabinets can be driven as a 4 ohm load on the bridged output of the power amp, having more power available to drive the pair in bridged mode as opposed to dual mono.

SOOOOOO, if YOU were putting togther a similar type rig, which would you choose & why - 4 ohm or 8 ohm cabinets :confused:

Thanks Folks :bassist:
  2. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i would go with this option...the difference in power between running a pair of 4 ohm cabs in stereo and running a pair of 8 ohm cabs bridged isn't that big of deal (for example, with the qsc rmx850, running 4 ohms cabs in stereo gives you 300 watts per cab, while bridging 8 ohm cabs would give you 415 watts per cab.) i would rather have the ability to individually control the amount of power going to each cab...which could be an issue if you are using 2 different cabs.