1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4 ohm to 8 ohm..?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fleabass89, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Isn't there some way to change 4 ohm cabs to 8 ohm cabs? I've heard about them before. However, I don't know what they're called, so I didn't know what to search for. Can someone enlighten me?

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    not really,
    you would need a very big 4 Ohm resistor to be wired in series to the 4ohm cab.
    But that is somewhat stupid, because you will screw the sound and I dont know any resistor that can handle the load from an Amp.

3. If you're willing to replace the speaker(s), it's possible to go from 4 to 8. Otherwise: nope. Sorry.

4. The reason I was asking, is because I wanted to get a 4 ohm cab, and then later on buy another 4 ohm cab, and if they were both 8, it would turn out to be 4... Isn't there some way to make that work? Running in series....???:confused:

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    If you buy one cab today at 4ohms
    and then another one at 4ohms later..
    you could do a Series wiring ..
    that would sum a total load of 8 Ohms.
    The problem is that normally cabs dont sound good in series unless they have the same kind of speakers and efficiency.

I hope that Helps.
    I really recommend getting a 8ohm cab now and then another one at 8ohm
    Thats what I did.
    :)

6. Yes, thats what I would do, but Carvin is too lazy to make 8 ohm cabs!

7. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    You mean to lazy make a 8ohm 2x10?! right? my 4x10 vt series is an 8ohm cab.