Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 ohm to 8 ohm..?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fleabass89, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Isn't there some way to change 4 ohm cabs to 8 ohm cabs? I've heard about them before. However, I don't know what they're called, so I didn't know what to search for. Can someone enlighten me?

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    not really,
    you would need a very big 4 Ohm resistor to be wired in series to the 4ohm cab.
    But that is somewhat stupid, because you will screw the sound and I dont know any resistor that can handle the load from an Amp.

3. If you're willing to replace the speaker(s), it's possible to go from 4 to 8. Otherwise: nope. Sorry.

4. The reason I was asking, is because I wanted to get a 4 ohm cab, and then later on buy another 4 ohm cab, and if they were both 8, it would turn out to be 4... Isn't there some way to make that work? Running in series....???:confused:

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    If you buy one cab today at 4ohms
    and then another one at 4ohms later..
    you could do a Series wiring ..
    that would sum a total load of 8 Ohms.
    The problem is that normally cabs dont sound good in series unless they have the same kind of speakers and efficiency.

I hope that Helps.
    I really recommend getting a 8ohm cab now and then another one at 8ohm
    Thats what I did.
    :)

6. Yes, thats what I would do, but Carvin is too lazy to make 8 ohm cabs!

7. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    You mean to lazy make a 8ohm 2x10?! right? my 4x10 vt series is an 8ohm cab.