1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4 ohms io 8 ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by robert43, Mar 13, 2009.

1. robert43

robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    Australia
    Hi I have a 150watt combo bass amp. It has a speaker out put that saids 8 ohms min .
    What I was wondering I have been offered a 15" 4 ohm speaker if I put a 1/4 watt resistor in series with the speaker
    will tis work? or will I hurt / stuff up the amp speaker or both ? thanks

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It's a dumb idea, sorry. The 1/4 watt resistor will burn out for one thing if it's only rated to handle 1/4 watt. Even if it did handle the power the new speaker would only get half the output of the amp while the rest was being wasted as heat in the resistor.

You could probably rig up a way to wire the 4 ohm speaker in series with the speaker in your combo and run both together. That would probably add a bit of bottom to the sound although you would reduce the output power of the amp. If the 4 ohm speaker is free and in a cabinet and it's fairly efficient and sounds good it might be worth it.

I wouldn't boher though. These cheap, lash up jobs usually don't work out very well. You'll be carrying around an extra cabinet that might add a bit to the sound or it might not. You'll need to find someone who knows how to do it, wire up your combo with an extension output jack that would put the 4 ohm speaker in series with the combo speaker. That will probably mean a visit to a tech and will cost you money.

It's usually best to trade in your existing amp and get something better that wiil handle what you ask of it.

Edit to add--check the user's manual for your amp and see if you can add an extension to your combo that will run at the same time as the combo's speaker. If it does, find an 8 ohm speaker in a cabinet. That just might help enough. Then again, it might not.

3. robert43

robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    Australia
    thanks for that will look at something else

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, keep looking, find a suitable 8 ohm cab. Best of luck.