Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 ohms vs 8 ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mclaud, Nov 8, 2002.

1. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon
    Hi!
    I've a question for you!
    Assuming that you have 4 cab with th same wattage but two of them at 2 ohms and the others two at 4 ohms, what would be the diferences in your sound....

2. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    If the cabs are all equal except for the impedance there would be no difference in the sound of the cabs. The only difference would be in the load (impedance) presented to the power amp.

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    210s, 410s, 115s, 118s, 112s, 212s...

what configurations are you talking about here?

Also, how would you plan to wire them?

Assuming you have a two channel stereo amp...you could have
    2 x cabs with the same impedence per channel
    one of each on each side
    wire two in series then daisey chain each pair parallel, and run them on a bridged mono load.

and 8ohm load (the two 4s) and a 16ohm load (the two 8s) then paralled thos to get a...something or other... this is too confusing.

If I had this option of cabs, depending on the speaker configurations, I might use two separate stereo amps (4 channels total) and run them all on separate channels. But I'm weird.

I know I didn't answer the question, but this is a question that can't be answered anyway.

Good luck.

4. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon
    So, i don't make my self clear.
    My doubt is, if we have two diferent amps with 2 cabinets each, all equal in everything including wattage, but one runing at 2 ohms and the other at 4 ohms, would the sound be the same.

Hope i've make my self clear.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if they're quality speakers and cabs from the same maker, then yes, they should sound the same. the 2 ohm cab might be louder than the 4 ohm, if the dial on the power amp has not been moved.