1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4 or 16 ohm 10" drivers, who has 'em?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by will33, Dec 12, 2011.

1. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    OK, I have here a 115 and a 210 cab I built a few years ago. My building has gotten much better since and I really have no use for these. They don't suck per se, they're just a typical 15 and 210 box, sort of clones of what you see from commercial builders every day.

Was considering loading them up with half decent budget drivers, namely emi. Beta's and selling them off reasonably cheap to somebody maybe looking to get a gig rig louder than their combo, not expensive, etc. The problem is the 210, who the hell carries 4 or 16 ohm 10's that aren't $200 each neo's or something?

So far I've run across:

4ohm bp-102- Little more than I'd care to pay, low spl, not really suited for a simple one-way cab.

Delta 10b and Jensen mod50- neither have the xmax needed to make a half-decent bass cab on their own.

Seismic Audio drivers- no specs/cheap junk.

Anyone know of any others? None of those fit the bill and 16ohm beta's aren't available anymore.

As it stands my options are:

A.- use beta's anyway and make the 210 a 16ohm cab, possibly with a switch for a 4ohm setting.

B.- scrap the idea and turn them into a couple playhouses for my cats. I'm ending up with enough older built cabs where each cat could have it's own house.

Requirements- half decent driver, similair to a beta and budget, less than $100 per, hopefully a decent amount less for 10's. The idea was to end up with a somewhat loudish rig that can do gigs and fairly cheap. Something a punk rocker, metal or blues/country guy needing a louder setup for not much money could afford and sound decent using. Basically looking to pass these one to someone who could use them without having to invest much or have to charge much.

C.- Keep watching craigslist for a deal on who knows what may pop up I could make work.

Basically does anyone know of lowish cost 4 or 16ohm 10's other than those mentioned. Not in some ruch to do this at all. Was just a bit surprised how little there is to chose from in that department. Neo's like Avatar replacements are likely out of price range for something like this.

2. have you checked the weber speaker site? Problem is that they don't publish xmax, though you might inquire.

Does Austin have used music gear stores that carry raw drivers? Maybe find something by Peavey or the old Beta 10s in 16 ohms that way?

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The other 8ohm 210 I did used 16ohm Eden 10's that came out of a 4ohm Nemesis 410. That's one option I still have to check on as far as price. I traded that cab away for a powered mixer I use for practice and small bar gigs.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Didn't see anything at Peavey's site I thought would fit the bill. I can check with my speaker guy here I order eminence stuff from. It's possible he could get 16ohm recone kits and/or knows of some blown beta's laying around.

Just kinda had this idea over the weekend and didn't know it'd be such a hassle finding 10's other than 8ohms. Can check into Weber's stuff. There are some other options out there from other speaker companies but they're higher end more expensive stuff. Not what I was looking for here.

5. was thinking of used Peavey's since a lot of people seem to replace them and they're cheap, at least out here on the Left Coast. Good luck w/your search, I have a feeling you may be using that 2-10 as a cat house, unfortunately :meh:

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Maybe, it's really no loss to me, I got my value out of them long ago, both in handling some gigs and just education/knowledge. Having such a narrow choice in 4 and 16ohm 10's could put the kabosh on some folks DIY plans though.

7. agreed, it'd be nice to be able to make 8 ohm 2-10 cabs and then add to your heart's content depending on the gig situation, esp if you wind up stacking them linearly instead of the usual 2 by 2 configuration.

OTOH, you don't think a couple of 4 ohm BP102s w/an Alpha 6 shoehorned in there would do the job? Aside from the price, of course.

8. monkeyking

monkeyking

Feb 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Disclaimer: I don't know nuthin' bout fancy math and all that.

You might take a look at the Celestion 10's over at the Avatar website. On a whim I replaced the drivers in my ancient 210 Hartke cab with these and they sound pretty darn good. I'm sure Dave would be happy to give you the more detailed specs if you shoot him a message. I think he has them in 8 and 16ohm.

9. those have an xmax of around 2 mm, though. Might be enough for what the OP wants, though. Price is sure hard to argue with......

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Can check on the Avatar's but they're moving them cheap because they aren't very good. There's cheap but useable...then there's just cheap. I'll look into it though. They may sound decent with small amps but that xmax means you won't get much out of them before fartout.

@monkeyking---How much power you running? How big of gigs can you do with them in your Hartke? Would it be useable if you stuck a 15 under it for bigger stuff?

I don't want to totally cheap out but if some kid could get a decently loud stack for say $300 it'd be worth it to both of us. I don't expect them to have the quality of my DLIi2512's and mid drivers or anything but they'd be priced as such.

Best route may be seeing if my speaker guy here can come up with 16ohm beta's somehow.

11. nobodysfool

nobodysfool

Apr 22, 2010
    Shelby, OH
    How about Carvin? I've always had good luck with their speakers. I think they are Celestions, built to their specs. they used to have private spec Eminence, but I don't know if they still do.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Checked there, same deal as everywhere else. The 10's, or at least the budget ones are all 8 ohms.

13. anyway you can shoehorn one or even two beta 12s in there?

14. Cats like boxes.

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Possibly sized ok for one beta12. That would mean cutting a new baffle, etc....more work. Of course that means one less driver to buy....hmm.

These things are already built, lined, covered in carpet, tuned with pipes for easy adjustment. The 15 has casters, the 210 little rubber feet on 2 sides. I have enough old hardware/wiring laying around it wouldn't cost me anything but drivers to load them up and pass them on to somebody for cheap who maybe couldn't afford gig loud the usual way.

A beta15 or Carvin PS15 PA driver meets the goal of "cheap but decent" for a whopping $70-$80. Didn't think it'd be such a hassle finding a pair of 4 or 16ohm 10's along those lines. If that was as easy as the 15, I could give somebody a useable whole stack for dirt cheap. If I make enough to buy a sheet of plywood or a few small parts for some future build and gain a little space around here, it'd be a good deal for both of us. Not looking to get rich or pass the stuff off as some great design or anything, just do something with it for low cost/easy and let somebody else get some good use out of it.

There's always the cats.:D

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Your idea of morphing it into an 8ohm 112 is sounding better now.

17. :D

Thought you might like it. Not sure how you built the 2-10 but if it's easy to retrofit the front baffle then why not? Add a mid if you like, but I understand the Beta 12s sound fine as is.

For $75 clams a pop pretty hard to go wrong w/it's performance parameters.

You can always build a nice box for your cats, anyway, just make sure to model w/CatISD first........:bag: :D

18. monkeyking

monkeyking

Feb 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    On the 210, I just use it around the house, small rehearsals and whatnot. I've been using it with my regular rack which has the Crown which I think is 1000 watts bridged at 8 ohm. Anyway it's a lot, but of course, I'm not using anywhere near that juice. I've also run it with my trusty old HA3500 which is 280? at 8 ohms.

I've certainly not pushed it as I gig with a Berg 410 or the TB153. It is solid and serviceable however and with another 8 ohm 15 under it would probably make a very good budget stack for a beginner or mid-level player.

I'd guess your main goal is turning the cat box into something that could net you a couple bucks. I wouldn't be uncomfortable selling the 210 with the Celestions for a hundred or so.

My cat doesn't like it anyway.

19. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Looks like any other "wrong way" 210 but yeah, a Sawz-all and some PL could turn it into a 112 in short order.

Now to find resonant frequency of said cat. I guess you just apply beans, simmer, then squeeze around the mid section?

20. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

Thanks for the info. At around the house volume I bet it's pretty good. Stuff like that is more about tone and less in the sheer output department anyway. I'll have to look into that as well.

Edit: Not looking to profit much, just cover costs + a little something for the effort of putting it all together and yes, passing it on to a beginning/mid level player who could get some use out of it. Decent, "OK", but cheap for both of us.