4 or 2 ??? whaddaya think?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spidersbass, Dec 3, 2004.

1. spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    i was looking at my 4x10 cabinet and thought, "wouldn't it be better just to have 2x10's from the hartke cabinet, and replace the other 2 with the 2 10" subwoofers???"... any suggestions from the elecrical masters here??? remember, the hartke speakers are 8 ohms each rated at 100 watts each and the subwoofer speakers are 4 ohms each rated at 600 watts each... so wiring is gonna be a bitch on this one, but nothing i can't handle.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I think you don't understand the most basic concepts of speaker technology. There's no difference between different 10's that would make one a "subwoofer" and the other not. There are T/S parameter differences that would make one a bit more suited for a subwoofer ENCLOSURE, but nothing about the 10 itself makes it more of a "subwoofer" than any other speaker.

Aren't you the dude who was thinking about using car subwoofer speakers in your bass rig? If so, understand that they are not ideally voiced for bass guitar use, and will be terribly low in sensitivity. Regular bass guitar speakers will be much more robust for bass guitar use and transients. You will be gaining NOTHING by putting car subwoofer speakers into a bass cab in place of the original bass cab speakers. You're just barking up the wrong tree on this one.
  3. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yes, you need to use two seperate cabs, each designed for the speakers you put into them.

I may do what you are thinking of, but using eminence HL10's for the subs and designing a cab to suit those for sub use. But then using a seperate power amp to drive that cab. I'd use the sub out on my amp head to put everything below 100Hz into that sub cab.

But you can't just put subwoofers (such as the HL10's) into a 410 cab with two other kinds of speakers and expect it to work. All four will get the same load and frequencies at the same time. You gain nothing...and in fact, will probably sound much worse than what you had originally.

Speaker cabs are designed for the exact kind of speaker you put into it. The correct cab volume and tuning works WITH the speaker. The cab you have was designed for the speakers you have in there now. If you replace two, with completely different types of 10's, the cab design will work AGAINST the speakers, because it's design no longer fits the types of speakers used. Make any more sense to you now?

You really shouldn't use car subwoofers for bass. You can (check out bgavin's threads), but you need a ton of power to drive them as they are extremely inefficient.
  4. spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    thanks, you saved me a lot of work, lol. i'll look for other ways around this, but i WILL get those 2 10's onto my rig somehow, hahahah.