4 or 5.. is there a definitive answer yet?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassyBill, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Four

2 vote(s)
  2. Five

2 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Sorry if this has been done before (I did try a quick search), but some other posts have got me thinking and I haven’t been able to find a poll that answers this specific question. If you had to go with just one, would you choose a 4 string or 5 string bass? I’m ignoring 6s and 7s here, so just the two options. I guess I’m interested to find out whether we are close to redefining what is considered a standard bass yet, or whether that point is still a long way off.
  2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Silly poll. Too silly. Start again.
  3. oh no :eek: people are going to jump all over this one!
    anyway your generaly find that most play fours and about two thirds of that number play fivers and many have a strong devotion to the ERB's or extended range basses w/ six or more strings that is what i got from the disscussions here. many of us like myself own both. I find my fiver gets alot of dust but only because the quality of the four is ten times better. the next nice bass i'll get is a Sixer

Welcome to talkbass! :cool:
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I prefer five, but I like my 4 stringers too.

At least half of the population will answer 4, almost half will answer 5, and about 2 or 3 percent will want to know why you didn't include 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12(singled), 12(doubled), 12(tripled), 15, and 18 string basses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.