Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 or 5 snare???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by S'adnach, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Hey guys,

Newbie here on the forum.. visited the tabssection more than an 100 times. Figure a lot of experienced bassplayers surf around here, so this would be a good place to ask this question:

I'm gonna buy a new bass after summer- but I am still doubting between 4 or 5 snare. In my band we have several songs using a 7-string guitar and thus a 5-snare bass, but they could easily be played on a downtuned 6-snare. A firend of ours, a real expert on recording AND basses, honestly thinks my current Status Graphite is crap. He also advises me to buy a 'normal' 4 snare bass- they seem to be in quality way better than any 5 snare. And then, preferably a Chort-bass.

How do y'all feel about 4/5 snares?? And about Chort-basses?? Do give me info please!!

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Your friend sounds like he's pushing his personal opinion and if he dosn't play bass at this point it shouldn't matter.some people dont like the sound or feel of graphite but if it works for you (and me as well) that in the end is what matters keep your Status and maybe get rid of your friend for another bass :)

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Man, I'm feelin' like a total idiot, but I've never heard the terms snare or Chort with regard to a bass. Please educate me.
    Doc

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Me too.

My drummer has a snare. It is loud.:D

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'd chalk it up to the language difference.

The number of strings doesn't make a bass better or worse... it may make thing more or less difficult to play.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey there, and welcome to talkbass :D

is chort "wood"? i'm figuring that "snares" here means strings. is this dutch? :)

status basses are very fine basses.

as for "standard 4's being better than any 5 string" that's a very ignorant viewpoint.

i'm with jauqo - this dude sounds like a tard.

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    5 snares! That would be *super-loud*!! I wouldn't chortle over that.

But seriously, I can't say if your bass is crap, but I didn't think Status made crappy basses. And certainly, there are plenty of great 5-string basses out there - sure it's harder to make a good one than a good 4-string, but someone who categorically believes that 5s are inferior to all 4s needs some "readjustment". :)

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Tell your 'tard friend that professional bass players don't even consider a 4-string to be a legitimate bass.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Doesn't say he plays it... he owns it

;)

10. I guess I missed that meeting.

:D

5 strings are becoming the industry standard. the 4 string is becoming a relic, but many players still use them. I prefer 4 strings, but still have the 5 around for when I need it. There is nothing you can do on a 4 string that can't be done on a 5, or 6 or 7 for that matter.

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Munji, I don't think "Supporting Pest" is enough of a hint. Maybe you should try "Tongue planted firmly in cheek".

12. that is correct :)

string = " snaar "

And i think he means Cort basses.. :)

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That four-string P-bass is a relic of a past era. It's for sale/sold, and will be the last 4-string I ever own. I haven't played it more than a total of one hour in the last six or seven years. Nobody plays 'em any more.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I'm not a professional, so I think I can darn well use a 4.

15. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'm most comfortable with 4-snare basses and 1 snare drummers.

16. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Except for Tommy Shannon, listed as an influence in your profile...:D

Munji, at least change your profile before making statements like that...;)

Then there is Duck Dunn, Geddy Lee, and Marcus Miller, among others. But I guess they aren't pros...:D

17. woah :eek:

Tijs ( my drummer ) has 12 strings on his piccolo-snaredrum and 16 on his normal snaredrum.. :D

18. Violone in D (Venetian, 17th C.)
    Contrabasso di Viola da gamba
    ( http://iwk.mdw.ac.at/orpheon/seiten/abra/vazquezcoll.htm )

[​IMG]

This is a 6-string double-bass cousin ( member of the viol family which pre-dates the violin family ).

It even has frets. This instrument is from the 1600's. So, why should basses have 4-strings, again? :D

- Dave

19. I'd really like to learn how to play Viola da Gamba, only because I've never heard any instrument sound nicer than those. And, as well, I'm partial to Baroque when it comes to classical music. But, I'd like a Gamba with, what became the standard, seven strings... Sweet.

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Hey!the Viola da Gamba is a beautiful instrument.a frien of mine who is a very talented luthier who makes basses,(he made Reggie Wooten's 10 string bass.run Reggie Wooten's 10 string bass in TB's
    search for a pic) guitars and my EUB made a beautifull Viola da Gamba EUB style.