4 or 5 sting

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedGrange, Sep 29, 2000.

1. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I want a new toy... I am thinking either a Stingray 4 string or a G&L L-2500 or L-1505.

I am not sure which would be best for me.. I have been plaing a 4 string for 7 years, and want a 5... but everytime I try to play one it throws me off... what do y'all think?
    What do you think about my choices.
    I will probably buy a L-1505 if I go 5 string, I only like one pickup, I haven't changed the pan knob on my bass for 4 years.
  2. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

Well there surely are fivers and sixes you'll like,
    just like there are fourers, so perhaps you sould look into
    different basses.
  3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hmm....anything you can do with a 4, you can do with a 5 (or more), can the same be said in the other direction? I think not (at least not without retuning). I know that since I've been playing 6's, anything without a B is useless to me (nothing beats dropping a nice big fat LOW C at the end of a ballad in C :) ), I actually get LOST on 4's :D.

Go ahead and get a 5, play it as much as you can, and you'll adjust to the extra string (matter of fact, put your 4 in its case for a month or so, don't play it at all...). The basses you're looking at are all good choices, you can't go wrong there.
  4. timp

Jul 19, 2000
    I totally agree. A 5-string is great to have for its ability to throw a real low underline into a song. You might also want to check out the Sting Ray 5. Same awesome sound as a Sting Ray 4 with 5 extra low notes (and a great low B).
  5. Hey all, I'm thinking about getting a 6 instead of a 5-string. I only have fours now but figure why not take the big dive and get used to a wider spectrum. I always prefer the low end, it just seems for runs and more melodic lines a 6 might be an adventure for low and high ends. Hell, if I have to re-adjust to a new fingerboard, why not go all the way? Any thoughts or am I misleading m'se'f?
  6. Bay Rat

Bay Rat

Sep 26, 2000
    G&L L-2500 is a good choice that's what I've been playing for the last several years. It took me a few weeks to go from a 4 string to a 5 but I hardly ever play my 4 string G&L these days. I'm thinking of trading it in on a Larrive Acoustic bass.
  7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Go for it! :D I did, never been sorry either.
  8. The major difference in a lot of fives and sixes as compared to four's is that the strings are closer spaced. This may effect you more if you play slap bass altho many good slappers are not bothered by this. The more strings the easier it is to play as you can play more notes in any position on the neck. I vote for six or seven strings.
  9. I'm easily convinced. Going for a six. Thanks!
  10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey smith, go for 7. if you can find a guitar center near you, try out the conklin groove tools GT-7. it's quite a good bass for $1k, very comparable to my custom instruments, and an excellent value at 1/3rd the price.
  11. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I don't like Stingray 5s... too much plastic. I want a nice G&L L-2500, natural finish, maple fretboard :)
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The last 2 shipments of these babies we've received here in the Dallas area have VERY floppy B strings. Now I almost bought one of these before I found my Rapture, and one of the things I had based my decision on was the tight B string.

Has anybody else noticed a change on the Stingray 5? Has Ernie Ball changed the specs or something, to turn them out quicker?
  13. If you like less plastic, i'm sure you can have a Stingray 5 ordered for you without the pickguard, i doubt it will cost you anymore, it's saving them work.

Personally, i didn't relize any differences, what are they?
  14. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I agree you should go for the 5 string. You'll love the options that low B brings. Opens up a whole new relm of playing, at least for me it did. It takes a little bit of time getting used to the 5 but overall its worth it in the long run..I can still play a 4 but somehow instinct takes over and looks for that B..lol...Very good choices on the bass's your wanting to get too.
  15. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    The stingray 5's are kind of floppy for my taste. I finally got to play an G&L L-2500 today... um... me want me want :)

I got all kinds of sounds out of it. which is good, because I'm in 3 projects right now. A hardcore band, a rock/jazz band, and a live rap (they pay me well, it pays for my cd habit)
  16. I find the thing I like the best about playing 5 strings is the positional flexability it gives you. For instance, playing in E, you don't have to drop down to the open position or be faced with playing the pattern an octave higher, you can just move over to the B string and play at the 5th fret.

I find I don't use the notes below E very often, mostly only when playing tunes in Eb or Bb where not having a B string forces you to play an octave higher.