4 or 5 string jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassray, Mar 3, 2003.

1. bassray

Mar 3, 2003
    hi, i am just starting out and i have decided on a active jazz bass, but am not sure on a 4 or 5 string. Iam worried that the 5 string's neck is too wide for me, and i am also told it is alot harder to slap on a 5 string. Iam into funky house music like jamiraquai if that helps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
  2. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    i made the horrible mistake of starting out on a fretless years ago and that wasnt in my benefit. then after many more years i tried to start out again using a five string, and that definately wasnt beneficial to me, so now i have a 4 string that i love and i am finally making progress in my playing.
    so i say go with the four and then someday get the five but theres no rule saying that a five is good or necessary. you'd be suprised about how neck width doesnt really affect you as much or in the same way that you'd imagine its just something you get used to.
  3. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I'd say go for the 4. In general, 5-string Jazz Basses are lacking some of that Jazz tone that is so sought after unless you are looking at more high-end instruments.

The extra lows of a 5 can prove to be useful for the type of music you like (Stu Zender always played a 5-string when he was in Jamiroquai, although Nick Fyffe, who replaced him, used to use a Zon 4 a lot...) but you can always upgrade at a later date once you're more established with your playing, or you can always detune... :D

Russ :bassist:
  4. MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    You'd be surprised at how much earlier Jamiroquai stuff was done on a four string bass. So don't feel the need to get a 5 for that reason alone. That said there's no reason why you can't start out on a 5. Many people do.

Soundwise a Jazz might be too nasally for a lot of Jamiroquai stuff. I love 'em though.
  5. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    remember a 4 string fender was the classic funk bass!

5 string actually would probobly take you 2 months to get used to and you wou;dn't even know the difference.

I've from time to time been thinking about will I ever switch to 5 string. Yes I do like the low B but I can't put down my 4!:bassist:

I do know people who play 5's and who love the B but when they go back to a 4 they unserstand why a 4 was the funk of funky basses.
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Actually Stu started out on a Fender P, an Alembic fretless 4, and a Streamer Stage 1 4.
  7. Lozenger

Feb 26, 2003
    Sorry to overtake your forum thingy but i am also just starting and i was wondering, i like stuff like blink182 and kinda punk rock/ alternative rock.
    What typa basses are best for that. How does a Jazz bass compare to others and what music do people tend to play on a jazz bass. Ok, you prob think i am really thick but i am not very experienced.