1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4 or 8 ohm Avatar cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RyreInc, Dec 1, 2006.

1. RyreInc

RyreInc

May 11, 2006
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I just aquired a Carvin RL600 head and am searching for cabs. I came across Avatar, which seems like a great option for someone as destitute as myself. I'm looking at the 2x10neo, since that would go well with a 115 or 118 down the road.

My dilemma is, should I go 4 ohms and run bridged at 600W, or 8 ohms @ 500W?

The rub is, when I get a second cab, I can't run bridged with the 4 ohm Avatar since that will put me below minimum load. However, I could run in stereo/bi-amp at 250W a peice, for a total of 500W.
    Or, if I get the 8 ohm version and a second 8 ohm cab, I could run bridged at 600W, but I would only get 175W a piece in stereo/bi-amp mode.

In either case I can always add 1 or 2 more cabs, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

So basically, which would you go with? 500W with two 4 ohm cabs, or 600/350W with two 8 ohm cabs?

2. chowderhead

chowderhead

Nov 17, 2006
    I'll just relay my story which was that I had an SWR Goliath II (4x10) that I was running with a Gallien Krueger 1001RBII. That was an 8ohm cab at 500watts. I then sold the SWR, and bought an Avatar 210 Neo 8ohm cab. The 2x10 Avatar is louder than my SWR cab, and it sounds a lot better too. However, because it levels out around 65Hz I know I'm going to want to supplement it with another cab either a 2x12 or a 1x15 at some point. If it were me I'd keep the options open and stick with the 8ohm cabs. Better to keep more air moving with more speakers, than be bootstrapped by ohm limitations.

3. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Best to get 8 ohm cabinets.I ran a RL1000 head for a few years and bridged it into 4 0hm loads at many gigs and never had a problem with the power section.The difference in 500 to 600 watts isn't enough to worry about and a pair of 8 ohm cabs will let you the full power from your head if you bridge it.Also if you change to a different head down the road most of them put their full power out to a 4 ohm load.

4. opium89

opium89

Jan 27, 2004
    I gotta go with the flow here...get the to 8 ohm cabs. I've never heard a OTS bi-amp setup that had any nuts to to it. Another line of thinking would be to get the two 4ohm cabs with the idea that you could someday buy a head that handles 2ohm loads (Eden/Genz/etc). Just a thought.

5. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I'd go two 4 ohm cabs.

6. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    I'm not familiar with your head, and I'm no expert, but I'll share my experience.

I was running an 8 ohm Avatar 210 on the low channel (200 w at 8 ohms) of a GK800RB. When it came time to add-on, I bought a 4 ohm 212 with the intent of running it on the low channel (300 w at 4 ohms) and moving the 210 to the high channel for an additional 100 watts at 8 ohms.

In a nutshell, I thought this sucked. I replaced the 4 ohm 212 with an 8 ohm 212 and now run these full range for 300 watts. This leaves an extra channel open if I want to bi-amp in the future.

I wish I would've got the 8 ohm 212 in the first place.

7. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Probably I'm missing something here, but can't the Carvin take a 2 ohm load? If so, why would there be a problem with a 4 ohm cab?

8. RyreInc

RyreInc

May 11, 2006
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Thanks everyone for your replies! That's exactly what I needed to hear.
    I ended up ordering the 8 ohm 212 (instead of the 210).
    Each of the stereo/bi-amp channels can take 2 ohms each, but in bridged mode there is a 4 ohm minimum load. So 2x 300W @ 2 ohms or 600W @ 4 ohms.