Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 or 8 ohm?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Oct 30, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but i searched and found nothing, so, what are the advantages of getting an 8 ohm cab over a 4 ohm? From what i understand the only advantage is the ability to add another cab later, but what exactly does this mean? Are 2 8 ohm cabs louder than one 4 ohm cab, or do they just have the benefit of changing the tone a little?

Thanks!

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

2 cabs will generally be louder than one. There is no tonal difference between 8 ohm and 4 ohm speakers as far as I know.

3. Many amps will not go below 4 ohms. If you get a 4 ohm speaker cab, then you cant add another one. If you get an 8 ohm cab, you are more than likely to not notice much volume difference between it and the 4 ohm, but you have the option of adding another 8 ohm cab to it.

And yes, two 8 ohm cabs, if they are identicle in every other way (and to those who like to get down to the nitty gritty, I know this isnt possible) as the single 4 ohm, they will be louder.

Some will say you can hear a slight difference between a 4 and 8 ohm cab, but I cannot say yay or nay to this, havent played enough gear to.

Dave

4. adding another 8 ohm cab will add speaker area that will help push more air. i love having two cabs behind me on stage. :D

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It means you'll generate a much bigger sound. Using twice the number of cabinets (assuming same speaker configuration) means twice the amount of speaker surface area, moving much more air. If your power amp is up to the task and you really want/need to fill up more of the room, go for it!

MM

6. Unless of course your amp goes to 2 ohms in which case you could use two 4 ohm cabs :)

7. +1 to all the above. In summary:

1) If you know you will only use one cab, there is no reason IMO to not get the 4ohm version. While you get more volume increase from multiple cabs versus the increased wattage alone that you get from going from an 8ohm to 4ohm version of the cab, you will get more volume (all other things being equal) from a 4ohm vs. 8ohm version of the same cab.

2) If you do plan to add another cab for larger gigs, even with heads that safely operate at 2ohms, you are probably better of getting two 8ohm cabs. This allows you more flexibility (since many heads do not operate safely at 2ohms), and many of the heads that say they operate safely at 2ohms, per other threads and posts, run hot and are possibly less reliable.

8. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    is this really true? I am looking into getting a Peavey Max 700 amp, which goes down to 2 ohms. Why do they make amps that go down to 2 ohms if its not safe to operate them at 2 it does not make sense.

Edit - I contacted my local Music Store and asked them if an amp that goes down to 2 ohms will have a problem operating safely at 2 ohms and they said that as long as it says "2 ohm load minimum" on the amp you are safe to operate it at 2 ohms. That being said, I may have finally decided which amp I am buying. Peavey 700 MAX !!! :hyper:

9. I have the firebass, which is the same amp with a different faceplate basically, very nice amp, and i run it at 2 ohms nearly all the time when i use it (4 ohm 4x10 and 4ohm 2x15 :) )

Very nice head for the pirce!

10. All amps are designed to accommodate a certain level of "flow back" currents which occured when you overload yours by any means. A good amp will come with overload indicator so call "amp clip".
    If your amp does not have this indicator then you have to follow the manual book but please bare in mind that the overload might still occure due to the limmitation of speakers output and the amp itself not because of the net impedance of the cabs only.