Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 or 8 ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Obsolex, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I'm getting two Avatar cabs this summer, a 4x10, and a 1x15, but when I get them, should I get them both in 4 or 8 ohms? thanks, _-soto-_

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    4, or 8ohms.

Depends. two out of one cab, get 8 ohm.

I could get into detail, but ive had enough of the ,,,,whatever this is today. goodnight.

3. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Two 8ohms cabs would probably be best. But it depends on what amp you are using. Only a few amps will handle a 2ohm load (2 4ohm cabs) every amp i have ever seen can handle a 4ohm load (2 8 ohm cabs). So if you have an amp that runs at 2ohms and you want the extra power that comes with it then get the 2 4ohms otherwise i would get the 2 8ohm cabs.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I would get two 8 ohm cabinets.

5. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    8ohms...if you add additional cabs you will have many options as long as they are also 8ohms. in this situation 4 would seem to limit you unless you want to run them alone exclusively.

6. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I'd go with the fours, personally, if your amp can handle -- you'll get more overall output.

And if you need more than two cabs, freakin' run a line to the PA!

:D

7. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    1 cab only, 4. 2 cabs, 8 would probably be your best and most versatile choice.

8. Like others have posted, just about any amp will push 2x8 ohm cabs without much fuss. Not too many will push 2x4 ohm cabs without overheating or having to chain the cabs in series to make 8 ohms. Your best choice is 8 ohm if you're gonna run 2 cabs.