4 or 8 Ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Jan 3, 2001.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have an Ashdown ABM 300 head that I relly like. But I need a better speaker cab. I will probably go with Ashdowns ABM410h. I want to get as much volume from this as possible but it is in 8 ohms. If I want a 4 ohm modell Ashdown will have to custombuild that for me and it will take some months and cost $100 extra. I guy I know did a test with my head and two identicall cabs from Trace Elliot (410:s) except one was 4 and the other 8 ohms. He couldnt hear any difference in volume at all and he`s good at bass-stuff.
    (If I go with the 8 ohm modell I will be able to add more speakers in the future and save $100.)
    What do you think?
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Buy 8 ohms and save money for another 8 ohms cab, preferably a 1x15" or 1x18" sub.

My two cents.
  3. Jock,
    I have an ABM500 and if I were in your situation, I would go for the 8 ohms cab.
    You might want to add a 1x15 or whatever at a later date and it will save you having to mess around with slave amps, which is what I have to do when using 2 x 4 ohm cabs. (I also have 2 x 8 ohms but like having a change from time to time.)

IMO it would unlikely that you would notice much difference from a 4 or 8 ohm cab, but you will notice a lot of difference from 2 x 8 ohms together.

4. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    If you buy the 4 ohm model you may not be able to add anymore cabinets due to the ohm loading limit of the amp.

If you are not going to add any more speakers the 4 ohm would be the best option.