Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 or 8ohm cab for QSC power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeb, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    I'll likely purchase a pair of Avatar cabs to run under either a RMX1450 or 1850HD.

Wouldn't 4 ohm be the most efficient for running in either parallel or stereo and get the most from the poweramp? What am I missing? What would you do?

2. I've got the RMX1450, and went 4 ohms with my Avatar B212. And talkin on here about that has made me happy. You can bridge a single 4 ohm cab to be 1400W, or run 450W to each cab if you have to 4 ohm cabs, giving a total of 900 watts. That's what I did, see what everyone else says...

3. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    It depends on what cabs you get, how much power you want/need, and how much your willing to carry.

I'm pretty much directing the construction of my bass player's future rig... which is an RMX1450 running an Avatar B212 bridged @ 8ohms. 900Watts, and a cab that in really function well on its own. He's a big guy, so he can lift the 75lbs into the back of a truck.

Chances are, this will be enough for him, and he wont need to buy anything else. But if he ever needs more volume, all he has to do is decide what kind of volume he wants. Low End, Punch, Or maybe more of the same. He could add ANY of Avatar's cabs in 8ohms, and he'd have a 1400Watt fullstack.

Personally, I think 8ohm cabs are more versital when your working with a 4ohm minumum impedance.... unless you have something massive, like an 810. If you planned on running in stereo, then a 4ohm cab might suit you fine... but that's just not my personal preference.

4. changin my answer to "what he said" and trading my 4 ohm for 8 ohm.

5. What's actually sort of ironic is that:
    1) I just bought a QSC RMX1450 off a TBer

and

2) This is what I'm doing.

Nicely put. :cool:

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    haha.... yeah, a lot of people are doing that. Probably cuz I friggon suggest it to like... everyone that needs an affordable rig :p

It just seems to make so much sense though. I've heard the B212 in action and its very diverse. It's like an alternative to a Mesa Powerhouse1000 cab, in terms of Tone ranges. Even the weight is manageable. :)

7. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    Good points, you've pointed me toward the 8ohm cab config. My leaning at this point is toward the B212 and B210pro cabs (8ohm). Daisy chained in bridge mode through the RMX1450 seems like power to spare. Running the B212 alone would seem suitable as well. Very affordable too.

Thanks guys.

8. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    i just ordered a b212 and a 210pro both in 4ohm... plan on either running stereo at big gigs.. or just one side of my amp into the 210 for practice/small gigs..