1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4 Out Of 5..

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ZenG, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Ever made or converted a 5 string bass to a 4 string?

I notice some posts where people complain about the strings being too close to the fingerboard edge on their 4's.

I figure if you convert certain 5's to a 4, quite a bit of edge room could be generated.

Ever done it?

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Nope, should be a snap though. The biggest draw back is your string paths won't be straight unless you plug the headstock and remount the tuners. There are plenty of basses out there that don't have straight paths though. Depending on how OCD you are depends on how far you want to go with it too. You can get away with using the 5er pickups or change'm out. A 5er split coil may give you some heart burn, the D string might not cooperate.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    ZenG likes this.
  3. Yes... I was thinking the headstock would need reworking..along with the nut as well.:)

I like thinking about mods and inventions..