4 pickups + 1 pre = success?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by C-5KO, Oct 19, 2005.

1. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm planning on installing an additional pair of Nord J's into my 6 string bass. I will be keeping my Bart's in also.

The question I have is will I have problems with the Bart NTMB pre handling 4 pickups? Will there be a problem with only 9v and 4 pickups, or does it even matter? Do pre's have limitations?

I plan on wiring them in pairs with stacked volume/blend knobs. One knob for the Nords, the other for the Barts.
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    assuming all are passive, I can't think of any problems
  3. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks Dave!

I wasn't too sure, and before I give the go-ahead to start, I just wanted to make sure. I did have a concern with either of the sets being louder than the other, but that wouldn't be so bad.

I'm also hoping to also install a series/parallel switch too.
  4. the mod you are planning sounds interesting...could you elaborate on what it is that you plan to do?
  5. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

I have an Elrick 6 string bass with thin Bart Soapbars (J size). Originally I was going to replace them with a set of Nord NJSE. However, after adjusting the action and putting new strings on, I realized that I still really liked the Barts (of course after I'd ordered the Nords).

So instead, I hunted around for a stacked Volume/Blend 250K, which was really hard to find. Warwick supplies them, and by chance, my local music store had some.

Now, I'm planning to have them installed along with the Barts. They'll either go, infront of each Bart, or behind, depending on which pickup has the hotter signal.

The pots are push/pull, so I'm hoping my repair guy can wire the push/pull for active/passive. And the existing active/passive switch on the Elrick will be replaced by a series/parallel switch and he'll have to add a second switch for the other pickups.

Right now, I'm waiting on wood covers from Roger. I guess he's been really busy, because I asked about them almost 3 months ago. :crying: He did say they would take awhile, because he's backlogged with work.
  6. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    What do you plan to gain with this mod? 4 pups seems like 2 too many.
  7. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I have no idea. I wanted to try Nords in my bass, but then decided that I still liked the Barts. I guess this way, I can have both - separate, or even at the same time now.

I don't know if it's 2 too many. It may be. If so, I'll just dial out one pair. To me, it would be similar to having a bass with two MM pickups with a coil selector switch. It may not sound the same, but I think the function of being able to chose between two bridge and two neck pups would be interesting.
  8. mrphattay

mrphattay Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Hi Kori
    Have you considered altering the Pu leads to snap in/out modulars. This will allow you the experimenting you desire, plus offer a relatively quick exchange. (Similar to Alembic).

You'd be able to modify for the particular application without drastically altering the aesthetics of the Bass. The Mods you're considering might ruin the look by permanently excavating some beautiful top-wood & hurt the resale in the doing. Once done, it'll be impossible to go back.
    Any discrepency in PU dimensions, could be easily disguised by the PU covers you're considering.

Just a thought.
  9. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

Originally I didn't want to do any modifications to the bass (ie: routing). It was getting harder and harder to accomodate the size of the new pickups. Because I was looking for ebony wood covers, and the size of the Nords, it was becoming extremely difficult to get somebody to make the covers thin enough, so no routing would be required.

Instead, I decided to go ahead with the routing. ONLY because I was able to find these pots. It took me 2 weeks to find them, and everybody I asked said that they didn't exist, or at least had never seen them. I'm probably going to go back and grab a couple more of them just for backups. I don't think it will ruin the look too much. It will probably look as if the bass has 2 soapbars in it. I'm hoping it will add value ;) , at least to me.

My other concern would be phasing between the Nords and the Barts. I'm not very technical with pickups, so I've only read a few thread about the issue.
  10. That's funny because I was just playing around with the idea of replacing the Barts in my new Elrick with a set of Nordstrands :D