4 piece vs. 5 piece

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by lpbassics, Apr 23, 2002.

1. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    i couldn't find a playing with a band forum so i figued might as well put it here with a pro.

I'm currently in the process of joining a 5 piece rock band (singer, drummer, guitarist x2).

I've been used to playing in a 4 piece, where I find I can move around quite a bit.

I'm concerned that with a 5 piece, should I play holding off a little and let the guitarists have their way, or just continue with my same style and let them move around me? Naturally, its up to what the band thinks, but i'm just looking for a generalization.

Should I change my lines with the addition of another guitarist?

2. kellsita

Apr 25, 2002
    U.S.A Maryland
    Never change your style unless the band bugs you to. In many bands today the bassist is left back while the leads take hold of the song. Play the bass and play it loud don't hold back without a strong rythm the song just ain't right. I hope I helped you out with your decision. :D :cool:
  3. apollo

Apr 23, 2002
    east coast, usa
    You'll never know if you don't try. It's usually better to just be yourself from the start and see what happens. It will be easier for them to accept you if you are how you are from the beginning, and don't suddenly change.

So just be yourself - thrash around on stage all you want. Look at Fugazi or Mudhoney - they jump around and it gets the audience psyched.

If it's a problem (the stage is too small and you're knocking your bandmates' teeth out with your tuning pegs) then you may have to chill out.

Perhaps they won't mind you jumping around SOME, but not all the time. Oftentimes, finding a happy medium is the way to solve a conflict.

In the end, if the band wants you to change your style in a way that makes it not fun for you anymore, find a new band. There are plenty of fish in the sea... Just think what would have happened if the Minutemen was more worried about fitting in and pleasing others, than following their own vision!