Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4-pole push-pull volume pots?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Does anyone make a push-pull volume pot that has a 4-pole switch? I want to set up both of my FBB 5-string's pickups for series/parallel but only have three holes to work with. I never use it in passive mode and I've never had battery problems, so I figure that I don't need the pull-up passive mode any more.

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    hmm...what's your current control setup? (e.g., vol-vol-tone?)

I'm sure there IS a pot with an attached 4PDT switch out there (somewhars).

Here's a couple options you might consider...

(a) replace two of the controls with pots that have DPDT's attached.
    These are widely available -- Stew-Mac, GuitarElectronics.com,
    AllParts. If your setup is vol-vol-tone, you could replace the two
    volume controls with said controls/switches.

(b) replace one control with a stacked/concentric pot -- two
    independently functioning pots in one "hole". In the now empty
    third hole, put either a 4PDT toggle switch or a 4-pole (multi-position)
    rotary switch (if you've got the room in the control cavity).

have fun :)

3. Current control set is volume-balance-stacked B/T. This bass currently wears an NTBT.

If I could find a stacked volume/balance pot, I'd be set--there are a bazillion sources for 4-pole 2- and 3-way minitoggles out there.

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I've never seen a 4PDT on a volume pot. Stacked blend/volume is also not something I've seen. Stacked vol/vol is a possibility, but the hole your volume pot sits in is a little big for a mini switch to sit in. I do have 4PDT switches.

I can't remember how much room there is in the cavity, but if there is room in there, the best bet would be to add a mini switch. Second best would be to replace the V/B setup with 2 250k DPTP volumes and do the switching there.

5. Many Warwicks have that setup (pan bottom, volume top). Also, I know that the Ibanez and EMG 3-band preamps with sweepable mids use a boost/cut top, frequency bottom concentric pot.

Allparts doesn't carry such a pot, sadly. I'm not sure where I could snag one.

6. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    What about just rewiring the bass to full time active and use the current push/pull for series parallel? Are you talking about the pickups' output series/parallel or each pickup can be run series/par?

7. I want to switch EACH pickup from series to parallel internal wiring. Series/parallel for one pickup needs a 2-pole switch, so for two pickups it needs a 4-pole.

8. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Pete, I've got some switches of those that I got from warwick (MEC) and I have no use for them as they are too deep for the bodies I build. They are stacked volume/blend and aslo provide a pull switch for passiv/active (like on the dolphin model)

Let me know if you want me to send a couple of them to ya :)

Peace, JP

9. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    you could also do it with a 6 pole DPDT switch (on/on) or even series/parralel/split with an (on/off/on).

Peace, JP

10. You've got extra Warwick-style pots? SWEET!

How much do you want for 'em?