1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4 Progressive Bass Lines for "All The Things You Are"

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by Steve Freides, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

We need to know the chord/voicing sounding in m.8 - (1 measure after the Abmaj) to have a better idea of what the bassist is attempting to support with his bassline.
    His bassline there seems to imply a "Bb(major)...." chord of some kind. (Is the first note of m.8 a Bb??? or Bnatural?? Or, Is it impossible to tell, due to intonation issues?)
    Thanks.

Whousedtoplay likes this.
  2. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    The first note on the original recording is Eb - Ella’s version is in DB.
    The bass line is Eb F G Eb

3. Don Kasper

OK. We need to know the chord that is sounding.
    Thanks.

4. Don Kasper

In the 1st example: F7 is fine - it supports the melody. I just like Bdim7 mo' better, and believe that there should be some Harmonic Agreement(tm), beforehand, as to what chord will be played there - during the Melody at least.
    In the 2nd example: "G7b9/B" IS THE SAME COLLECTION OF NOTES as Bdim7. It is just another way of notating "Bdim7", (but not my preferred nomenclature, FYI. I prefer to write "Bdim7" in this case.)
    In the 3rd example: I have no idea what that measure is attempting to name - there is a low F in the bass clef, a chord symbol of "Bdim/en6" (***???) and a whole lot of notes related to "Fmin7/9". (It also looks like it may be a transcription of ATTYA from the recording - "Liberace Plays Bird".)
    Thanks.

5. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    It looks like your m.1 is m.25 in my version - is that right?

And it looks like you've transposed Ella's Db major back to Ab major - is that right?

Your m.7 - original in Cm7, Ab maj 9 is Cm7 with an Ab bass and seems a nice substitution/change - most notes are the same.

Your m.8 - Bb7 add 13, the 13 being the melody note, again a fine choice.

Your m.9 - I think you're just off here, not sure what's going on for a bar and a half.

Middle of m. 10 - a sub-V chord, sometimes called a tritone substitution - A7, instead of Eb7, leading back to Ab maj 7 in m.11, also a fine choice and sounds good, IMHO.

I confess to having only skimmed some of the more recent messages in the thread - apologies if anyone has already suggested similar, just been busy.

NB: You can use your notation program to make your measure numbers match those of the version in the first post in this thread - would make comparing easier.

-S-

6. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    If you tell us what program you're using, someone here might be able to tell you how to do that.

I wouldn't think so - the bass, as you've shown it, outlines Bb major.

Later today, I'll use the Amazing Slow Downer app and upload Ella in Ab. (Brilliant app, costs $15 and worth every penny, IMHO.)

There are no accidentals - to me, that just looks/sounds like 5-4-3-2 in Ab major, no?

-S-

7. Don Kasper

I just listened to Ella's 1964 recording (the Nelson Riddle version) m.#8 above (m.32 of the form) is a clear Bb7 (transposed to the usual key of Abmaj).
    So the bassist is clearly outlining a Bb tonality (Bb,C,D,Bb/D).
    It makes NO sense whatsoever to transcribe and analyze bass lines without knowing EXACTLY what (chord/voicing/harmony) is occurring at that very moment.
    IMFO.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  8. Don Kasper

There may be numerous correct answers as to the chord change in m.32.
    Serious Jazz students would probably NOT use Ella's version as A primary source, but may use it as a secondary source. (Wrong Key...&, Nelson Riddle was no Gil Evans.)
    IMO.

Tom Lane likes this.
  9. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
  10. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Thank you for the effort

Steve Freides likes this.
  11. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 11, 2021