Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 space Amp case question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joetiii, Jan 9, 2006.

1. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    So the threaded screws I have for my 1 space effects all fit just fine. The korg, the furman, the bbe all use small hex head bolts and nylon washers to prevent rack rash. Now that my Mesa is getting a 4 space rack, I tried using one of the bolts from the other units, and the head turns down into the bolt hole in the amp. Do you guys use another size bolt head? if so what thread? if not, is it just a larger washer you're using. Lock washer or what?

sorry if this sounds like a dumb question. just want the 45 lb Mesa to sit right .

:oops:

2. lonotes

lonotes A place for everything, & everything out of place

Oct 15, 2003
    Port Richey,FL
    I use 10-32 x 1/2" socket head (Allen) screws with plastic washers on my racks. The only reason that I use the socket heads instead of (more commonly used) Phillips head screws, is that there is less chance of slipping out of the head and scratching a faceplate when changing out units in the rack.

3. lonotes

lonotes A place for everything, & everything out of place

Oct 15, 2003
    Port Richey,FL
  4. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    My Soundtech PS802 is only one space tall but a full 17 deep. It has mounting tabs in the rear so I used some wood to block it in for more secure mounting.

Thanx for the idea.For some reason, my current rack is using allen head (socket head) that are in millimeters, not std thread & size . hmmm

I'nm thinking oversized rubber washers to keep them from twisting through attach hole.

I'll check the std threads and see if those heads are larger than the mm.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I wouldn't use over-sized rubber ones, I'd use metal washers. That amp is really too heavy to be supported in front by only rubber. They will break down fairly quickly.

The heads on the phillips screws are pretty big. They will almost certainly cover the holes in the Mesa.

6. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    good point. I just got the rubber so I'm back to the store for different washers.