1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4 space ATA or SKB?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bchamorro, Mar 11, 2008.

1. ATA RoadReady 4 space

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. SKB standard 4 space?

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  1. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    What kind of case to hold my tuner, power conditioner and amp? ATA or SKB?

It will sit on top of my 4x10 Mesa PH cab.
    I don't gig.
    It will rarely be moved.
    Can afford any of the two (ata or skb).

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    ATA isn't a brand. ATA stands for "Air Transport Association." They set standards for cases holding breakable items on flights, and when you see ATA on a case, it means it's been approved by the ATA to be suitable for air travel, and airlines won't pay claims unless your breakable item was packed suitably in a case that they approve.

3. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I know that.

4. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    There is zero reason to get an ata-certified rack if it's not being moved. All you're doing is adding unnecessary weight. You could even argue there's no reason to get one if you aren't flying with it. Regardless, SKB will work fine for your purposes.

FWIW: My favorite cases are made by this company www.anvilcases.com. My guitarist is going to have some lightweight anvil cases made for his hiwatt head and orange 412.

5. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    If you knew that, you wouldn't have asked :p

6. Go with the SKB , lighter if you ever do decide to move it. Keeps the gear basically dust free if closed after use.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

You don't need ATA. I gig frequently, but I move my own gear and a Roto Rack works just fine. I also have some SKB "Standard" cases, which are ATA, but the Rotos are a little lighter.

I no longer own a fancy Anvil-style rack case with shock mounting and metal protection on the corners and angles. Now, if I were in a touring band that traveled a lot and had roadies, I certainly would. But as noted I'm just a weekend warrior, and I'm careful, so the Roto works great.