1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4-string, 24 fret Fender Jazz-type basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trev, May 25, 2005.

1. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Could anyone recommend some 4 string J-type basses with 24 frets? I was looking at the Warmoth stuff, which I like, but I did a search on the 24 fret overhang option they have and it seems that its practically useless as frets above the 21st fret are not very accessible.

So I was thinking, what are my options? What bass could I buy, if I wanted a 4 string J-type bass, P/J pickup combo, 24 frets? So far I can only think of Ibanez and a couple of high end basses, Zon being one (which I am very seriously planning to get, but until then, I still need a 24-fret 4 string bass, nothing expensive but nothing ultra cheap either - mid level i guess).

I currently play an old Ibanez Musician, but I'm having some problems with the pickups on that bass, and I would like to retire it and just get another affordable bass in the meantime.

Any help would be great, thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I don't like the Ibanez Soundgear basses at all, so that ones out. I dunno what it is about them, they just feel strange to me.

2. A lot depends on your budget.

On the higher end, how about the Elrick New Jazz Standard? It comes, or used to come, in a 24 fret version. www.elrick.com Their website appears to be in the middle of renovation, but if you go into the gallery, you'll see a few photos.

Or a Jon Shuker J bass: http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/jclassic.htm Jon's not well known over here, but I have a couple of his basses and like them a lot. He's great to work with, and his prices are quite reasonable for the quality he provides (though becuase of the rise of the pound against a dollar, they're not quite the ridiculous deal they were a couple of years ago).

At a different monetary level, you could think about a Carvin LB20 (passive) or LB70 (active), especially used. You could pick one up from eBay or Harmony Central for not much $$. Only thing is, you won't get the P/J configuration--stock is J/J.

Another that comes to mind is a used Ken Smith Burner. IIRC, these are 24 fret bolt-ons. I don't really know how many are out there, though.

3. Find a used Trace Elliot T-Bass. It will change your life. These things blow Sadowsky out of the water. I have had two different people offer to trade me their Metro straight up, and I politely declined. You would not be disappointed with these basses, and you can find them for $700 to $1000 on the used market.