1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4 string bass neck to 5 string bass neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by guitarplayer83, May 12, 2010.

1. guitarplayer83

guitarplayer83

May 12, 2010
    Hi all I am new to the forum but not to guitars or basses. I am in the process of building a bass for my cousin. He is used to playing a 5 string. He got to thinking since he has to buy a neck or use a 4 string neck that he already has. Is it possible to make a 4 string neck into a 5 string neck. It appears that the nut width is the same, but a 5th tuner hole would have to be drilled. Is there anything else that would have to be done or anything of concern trying to convert a 4 string neck to a 5 string. Thanks

2. kuso

kuso

Feb 25, 2010
    Plymouth, MA
    I'm no expert, but the string spacing would be very tight, and you would probably have a hard time finding a bridge with spacing close enough to fit all five strings over the neck.

Why not build a neck? If you're not comfortable building one, Warmoth has a ready-to-go 5 string neck here: http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Bass=1&Body=1&Spotlight=1&Path=Neck&i=d5n394

They have it for $248.

Also, try looking around pawn shops/CL for a cheap five-er you can take the neck off of.

3. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    You can do it! It's been done a lot.
    Look up TB member Ric5 and check out his website. He's done a bunch of em and could probably provide some tips to help you make the conversion.

Looking a little more at his website it looks like he explains everything pretty well =)

http://www.3dentourage.com/425/425.htm