1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4 string bass playing with 7 string guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, May 12, 2006.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'm sure this has probably been discussed at some point, but I'd like to run it by the current Talk Bass community.

What do you do when you only have a 4 string bass and the guitar player pulls out a 7 string?

I ran into this at a band try out the other day. At first I was worried that I'd made a mistake by switching from 5 strings to 4 strings recently. I asked the guitarist if he was going to be going below D in the song. (thinking I could drop my E to D) He said that he would be using the open B string, so I stayed in standard tuning and played it with the B and D notes that I had. (2nd & 5th frets on the A string) …I was kind of surprised - I thought it sounded just fine playing my bass line in that register with a 7 string guitar hitting his low B.

Is that a pretty typical way to handle it, or do most guitar players with 7 strings have bass players with 5 or more strings?

2. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

3. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Guiar low-B + Bass low-B = Thunder MUD.

My guitarist uses a baritone guitar tuned down to A, and rarely use my low-A when he's down there. If he wants to play in that range, it gives me more opportunity to counter-point that and play a little higher.

Just my $.02

4. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I would cut the B string on the guitar with wire cutters.

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Use your B and D notes on your E string ?