1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale/Trade 4 String Bass Project Vintage G&L Neck & EMG Loaded Butterscotch Carruthers USA Body

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Thumpin6string, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    Price:
    Strings:
    I have for sale a 4 string bass project that I don't have time to finish.The body is a 17th Street guitars by L.A. builder John Carruthers. It is alder with a butterscotch orange see through finish. It has EMG pickups and preamp. I believe the bridge is a Gotoh, but not positive. The neck is an older mid 1980s USA G&L that was ugly when I got it. The frets were junk and someone used it for an art project. Amazingly it was straight and the truss rod works. I bought it specifically for this body due to the number of frets. The body needed a 21 or 22 fret neck to get the scale right. It comes with new frets ready to install. I was going to put a vintage tint on it and True Oil. It needs a set of tuners. I do have a cheap set of import tuners if interested. The last picture is what the neck looked like when I got it (don't laugh). This could be a killer USA bass when finished. I'm asking $300 shipped to the CONUS. I could part this out for a lot more, but I'd like to see it get finished. I'd consider a Bartolini NTMB or equivalent preamp for a fretless or a decent compressor as a partial trade, or trade for one of the amps in the other link on my signature and I'll make up the difference. PM with questions or to make a deal. Thanks for looking.
    IMG_2983.JPG IMG_2973.JPG IMG_2974.JPG IMG_2975.JPG IMG_2976.JPG IMG_2977.JPG IMG_2978.JPG IMG_2980.JPG IMG_2981.JPG IMG_2982.JPG IMG_2979.JPG neck1.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  2. ElliottStrong

ElliottStrong Music City via the Motor City Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Nashville/ Detroit
    Im not sure that the neck is a 70s G&L, they didn't start until 1980. And they didn't change to that headstock until '83.

3. Thumpin6string

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    Thanks for the info. I thought they started in the 70s. I don't have a lot of knowledge about G&L. Just know the Leo Fender was the "L". I will correct the listing.

4. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    That is one beautiful body.

5. Thumpin6string

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    And it could be yours for the right price or trade.:)

6. I see the potential.