Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 string basses under $700

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kwelch28, Dec 17, 2001.

1. kwelch28

kwelch28

Aug 31, 2000
    Allegany, NY
    I have $700 and i'm looking to by a new 4 string, what are some basses that you guys would reccomend for all around play (slap, pop, tap,pluck) and under $700?

2. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I'll take the safe route and vote for a used Ernie Ball MM. I've seen several for right around $700.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You can also look into the pre-De Armond Guild Pilots, the Reverend Rumblefish series and the G&L L2000.

4. I'll second the Musicman suggestion. I just bought a new one, but, if you can get one for what you want to spend, by all means do it! If you want to go new, a Marcus Miller Jazz perhaps? They're a little more than $700.00, but, good for slap. Very bright.

What other basses did you have in mind?

Mike J.

5. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    I've had my music man for over 24 years now and if I could only have one bass to play it would be my Music man. Enuff said "Go and seek out your life long friend". Happy Shopping

6. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    You can't go wrong with a Stingray for $700. I also like Bigwheel's suggestion of a G&L L2000, very nice bass. IMHO, you can never really go wrong with an American Fender Jazz, although you'll have to do some dealin' for $700.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think the Stingray is a great choice, but the idea is to get a bass under$700.

The Peavey G-bass can also be had for less than 700 clams.

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Alright, here I go again! In that price range I think that you ought to take a serious look at the MTD Beast. There's not many more left but I know that you can get one from here:

Access Bass

You can also get a great price on a Kingston, Heir or Lakland Skyline from the same place. Check it out or email at info@access-bass.com .

9. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I agree, a Stingray or Sterling would be good for an all-around bass, but I don't even think you could find one used for under $700....the 700 being the operative condition, here. See my recommendations below:

Carvin is ALWAYS a good place to start when cost in an issue. I've never played one, nor am I am big fan of their products, but you might be-so check it out. They always get great reviews in Bass & Guitar Player mags, a lot of people love them, but I have been seeing quite a lot of negative reviews lately on the internet-take that with a grain of salt.

Fender Jazz (Made in Mexico, Squire series, '62 Reissue-used): The Jazz will give you great playability and will be able to cover all styles, from blues, country, classic rock, heavy rock, classic "Larry Graham" style slap, etc. A lot of young players start on these basses, and I'm sure there are a lot of beginners here who love their MIM Jazz basses! You might also look for a used '62 Reissue Jazz. This is my #1 (first bass I ever bought and still the best) and a lot of them have been going on e-bay for around $500-$600. Beware on e-bay...do your research!!!

Peavey-all: Peavey basses don't necessarily have a great "name", but Peavey makes great products at a great value. They offer several different models that should come in under $700.

Yamaha-similar to Peavey. A little higher on the price scale, but also has a little better name brand perception amongst bass playing community, so should help resale value.

Warmoth: A lot of players who are from the 'ole school Fender era of basses are looking more and more towards building their own basses-sort of. If you're a beginner, I woouldn't recommend this, but if you play your cards right, you could build a great, high-quality bass for right around $700. If you shop from the bargin bin, go light on the hardware and pickups, pass over active electronics in favor of budgetary considerations, and find a local luthier who charges reasonable rates, you could start with a bass constructed of quality tone woods that could be upgraded (electronics, pickups, hardward, etc.) in the future.

There are probably dozens of more possibilities, but these are some of the tried-and-true methods that I would recommend. Hope this helps! Good luck. :)

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    MTD Beast or Kingston or Heir - and it will leave you $$ for an amp!! the Lak Skylines only come in 5 strings--- peace, A.

11. kwelch28

kwelch28

Aug 31, 2000
    Allegany, NY
    Thanks everyone!

12. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Despite what most ppl say, I would go for a Rickenbacker....best necks around, awesome for any type of play, even slap, and its very unique looking....ppl will recognize you.....I get more recognition the anybody in the jazz band even though I probably the least experienced out of the group with my instrument....

13. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I would second this alos.....I kind of wish I did this, its just such a need idea of custom ordering parts and putting it together.....I would do alot of ressearch into what you want before doing this though....

14. kwelch28

kwelch28

Aug 31, 2000
    Allegany, NY
    What's a model of Carvin bass that would be good for slap etc...?

15. Check out www.basspalace.com I bet you can find
    some nice used MIA P or J basses for well under the $700.00 if you are so inclined. :)

16. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    You can buy a brand spanking new Fender Geddy Lee Jazz at about $600. Nicest Fender neck your ever gonna find, trust me. Maybe embellisher would sell you his, I don't think he plays 4's much anymore.

I'm keeping mine. :D

17. Dang! I can`t believe I totally forgot about the GeddyLee Sig. J!:eek: Must be getting old.I hear GREAT things about them!!!:D

....and yes,I do want one. hehe

18. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Another vote for the Geddy, nice bass.

19. kwelch28

kwelch28

Aug 31, 2000
    Allegany, NY
    has anyone played an Ibanez EDB or EDC and how are they?

20. I own an Ibanez EDC700 and while it is a nice bass,I would not have gone out and purchased this bass.This bass was won by me in a contest.Comfortable and sounds decent.I just think there are better basses out there for the buck.
    MHO there.

:D