4 string Body converted into a 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johny Blade, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Johny Blade

Johny Blade

Jan 13, 2016
    Just a quick question. I want to buy and experiment on a Fender P Bass 5-string body, but as it seems its much harder to find one. So I have thought to buy a 4-string P bass body and try to convert it to a 5-string.
    Does anyone know if there is any fundamental differences between the 4 and 5-string Fender P bass bodies? f.e. Is there a size difference?

2. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    The body is the same size. It's just the neck cavity that different.

Ampslut and Johny Blade like this.
  3. Johny Blade

Johny Blade

Jan 13, 2016
    Perfect thanks a lot for the info!!! With a little trimming its all fair game then!

mapleglo likes this.
  4. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Eh, hold a second, think about it............the portion of the body that the neck bolts to is larger for the 5 string neck. You can't trim a piece of wood to be bigger.

You could rout a 4 string body's neck pocket out so that a 5 string neck heel would fit, but the 5's heel will be hanging out over nothing on it's edges, especially on the treble side.

I don't see where you could make a 4 string body work properly for a 5 string neck without some pretty major surgery - gluing additional wood, etc.

5. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    U wot m8?

Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Classic Showcase

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You could keep the treble side the same and only expand the pocket to the bass side. Of course then the neck wouldn't be centered and you'd have to compensate where the bridge and pickups are.
    It would work, but it would be odd. And more trouble than it's worth.

7. Johny Blade

Johny Blade

Jan 13, 2016
  8. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    makaspar likes this.
  9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    There is a school of thought that a 5 strng bass needs a 5 string body ...

I am not part of that school.

I will take a 4 string body and a 4 string neck and put 5 strings on them. http://www.3dentourage.com/425/425.htm

But you can also take a 5 string neck and a 4 string body and simply remove some wood from the neck pocket so that the fatter neck fits

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    4 string body and neck

5s%20001.jpg

5s%20002.jpg

Fun Size Nick and Johny Blade like this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021