Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4-string buyer's remorse?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by papaya9, May 24, 2003.

1. papaya9

papaya9

Apr 4, 2003
    I hope you guys don't think of me any less when I tell you I saw Anita Baker last night. The bass player was pretty decent, and he was getting some really awesome low, sub-bass vibes. After a while I realized he had a FIVE-string! Sonuva..!
    My question is, can I get the same low end reverberations as the 5 stringer guy got? I might have to unload my 4-string now! :)

2. playing bass isn't about playing the lowest notes possible. the point of a 5 string is to extend your range at any given fretboard position. if all you care about is playing low, just tune your bass down. but you'll need lots of amplification to reproduce what you heard last night, especially because most of it was probably coming through a several thousand watt PA. (i'm guessing. i don't know who anita baker is.)

3. papaya9

papaya9

Apr 4, 2003
    Thank you, Dancehall:)

4. Yeah. DHC is right.

And yeah, if you do want to hit those lower notes you can do a drop D on your E string, or tune down. Some even just replace their strings with a lower 5 string set and go BEAD, omitting the G since they don't have room, and don't need it.

5. These are good suggestions; just bear in mind that your four-player will probably need some setup work if you opt for alternate string sets/tunings.

Or you could do what I did-- buy a used, decent, cheap (i.e. Yamaha) 5-string off ebay...:)

6. Just turn the bass all the way up on your EQ;)

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    LOL:D

8. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

I'm mainly a 4 stringer, I use a Hipshot D-tuner on most of my basses, that works;)

9. papaya9

papaya9

Apr 4, 2003
    Thanks for the great replies to each of you! :)