Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4-String Conklins - endangered species?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RickenbackeR, Sep 1, 2000.

1. RickenbackeR

RickenbackeR

Mar 28, 2000
    I'm sure i attracted John Turner´s attention now :)

Tell me if i´m wrong, but it seems like Conklin specializes in more-than-4-string basses. Since not many of the popular brands (fender, gibson, etc) regularly make bases with say, 7 strings, it is obvious that Conklin is one of the leaders on that market. Since they are one of the few that makes these basses, they are probably very good at it.

Now my question is, how good are 4-string conklins in comparison with the common 4-stringers that we all know. Would you tell them "Just stick to your 7 and 8 stringers and double necks, leave the 4 and 5 stringers to Fender, Rickenbacker and Warwick, they are much better"? Or would you say that they are also an important competitor in the 4 string market?

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey Rick -

Did you miss the thread recently about the new Conklin endorser? I think you may have. It's Rocco Prestia (one of my fav's :) ), and they're building him a 4 string (!!!!) P/J bass. Seeing as Rocco was until recently a Fender endorser, it would seem that Bill Conklin is able to build a more than passable 4 string bass. I certainly wouldn't tell them to "stick to the 7+ string market" becaues Fender, et al are better at the 4 and 5 string stuff, they're not (not saying they're inherently better either, just different). I'd say they're planning on being a "player" in the 4 string market based on the Rocco thing.

3. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Ive tryed a couple Groove tools, but they only had 4 strings. They felt/played allright but there wasnt anything special about them. I wouldnt buy one unless I was gonna get a 7. The sidwinder body looks funny to me without the other 3 strings.

If your talking about real Conklins, you can just tell Bill, "Only four strings for me please!"

[Edited by JHMAVRO on 09-01-2000 at 07:59 AM]

4. Hey. I own a Conklin Groove Tools 4-string and I love it. I've played alot of 4-strings, and none of them have compared so far. Later!

Woofy Out!

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hoooooowwwwdy woofy :D glad you dig your groove tools

bill has made some unbelievable 4 strings. excellent looking and playing. the fact that since he makes the super-extended range instruments he has become known for them, but nevertheless, his custom 4 strings are quite cool.

he made a 5 string fretless that was the model for my 8 string - i played that bass at the LA namm show in '98, and i was amazed at how unbelievably killer it was. so my 8 string fretless was bassed on a 5 string he made (all the electronics on my 8 were my own invention, though :D )

[​IMG]

i'm sure, however, that he makes probaby 5 times as many 7+ string instruments as he does 4 strings. just because most guys, once they get to the point where they are ready to get a custom conklin, and start off with a 4, before ya know it, most of em are up to 6 or 7, with metled tops, piezos, synth, and well, you know, all kinds of wackiness. :D

6. Neobass

Neobass

Aug 12, 2000
    Hmm...I <i>never</i> thought I'd say this, but..that's too many knobs!! Seriously, what do all those knobs/switches do? I think I might just fall over from a sensory overload if I ever tried to play that thing!

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    A Duck Dunn bass...it ain't!....:D

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, the "top" (left) row of knobs are, from bottom to top

1. volume
    2. stacked knob of bass/treble eq
    3. midrange eq

the second row of knobs are :

1. piezo/magnetic pickup blend
    2. synth pickup volume (13-pin output)
    3. frequency selector for parametric eq
    4. stacked knob with Q-factor and Cut/Boost for parametric eq.

next to the piezo/magnetic blend knob, is a blue led for to tell when the bass is on or off

and the switches are...

1. bass on/off
    2. parametric eq on/off
    3. 3-way series/single/parallel selector for pickup
    4. coil-tap (to get single coil of other coil)
    5. 3 way bass/bass+synth/synth selector
    6. momentary up/down switch that changes synth patches in synthesizer.

it also came with the handy-dandy ronco attachment to slice/dice/puree and make julienne fries, but i usually keep that at home. :D

9. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Does it come with a remote control?...:)

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Hey John, how can you play that many strings with so many knobs? :D any more than 5 knobs total & i'm confused same thing with strings :) . Well i hope the sound clips get on your website soon since i really want to hear what you guys sound like. that's all

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, actually the site is getting revamped right now - hopefully next week or the next i will have the new site up, with some sound samples.

12. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    ...just goes to show some whores will do anything for even a funny-lookin' guy with lots of $$$$$...

:D

Howza party goin'? Even takin' time out to check in w/your pals :)eek:) here at talkbass? GOD, I wish I lived somewhere nearer there...

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i put some pics up in the other thread

14. Don't let him fool you guys. He makes it sound like all of the controls are a piece of cake. In actuality he has a laptop with 128 megs of ram on a stand that acts as his database for the settings. Of course, the bass is too complicated to play and work at the same time so he has a NASA technician do the knob twistin' :)

By the way, I had the chance to play this thing! It was absolutely daunting. All of us at the party picked it up and tried, some of us even sounded pretty good. I commented to Joe Nottoli that he sounded pretty good, his reply was "Yeah?, I guess, but I don't have any idea what notes I'm playing."

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :D

yeah, the party was a blast.

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Who all ended up coming to "the party"? Howd it go? What happened? Give us the details! :)

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga