4 string detuned as a fake 5 string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Crockettnj, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    i have an offbrand import 4string jazz bass that i use as my "bass-is" for experiemtntation. I installed a hipshot and dislike it.

i am contemplating tuning it BEAD so i could pull in some low low end.

anythoughts on alternative tunings (other than jsut e to D) , string gauges that work best, and ANYTHING related you have tried would be MUCH appreciated.

i play mostly rockish/pop stuff, but i tend to "dig in " pretty good, so messy strings are not appreciated here.

2. stevo4

Jun 6, 2005
    just buy 5 string strings i guess u get those without detuning and it would sound better
  3. I don't see why BEAD wouldn't work if you use gauges usually found on a 5-string.

I am thinking along these lines myself and I will try DGCF tuning with a heavy 4-string set. I don't like Drop D tuning since I am used to EADG tuning, and DGCF would preserve the relation between strings. I haven't actually tried anything yet though, sorry.
  4. The BEAD strings may be too thick for the string nut on the 4-string, though.
  5. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I tune to CGCF on a 4 string. Right now I use a .125-.95-.70-.55. I buy more than one pack and then either put the other strings on other basses or just sell them. This is on a 34" scale bass. The bigger strings along with a good set up sound really good. The larger guage is a lot tighter and you can hear it in the sound. I used to use a .115 top string, and when I bumped up I noticed I had more clear, defined lows and they were much more consistant without having to apply the perfect touch each time. I play fast music, it's hard to be gentle.
  6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    True. You will need to file the nut for the larger gauge strings.

I ran my Innovator four string with a five string set. I just toss the G string. I used 65-85-105-125 Black Diamonds. Loved it so much that when I finish up the refinish I'll probably go back to it again.

Also, this has been talked about a bunch of times. If you type in BEAD in the search feature you will finds lots of info on this subject.
  7. I tune my bass BEAD and I had to file on the nut as well as the bridge. I love this and I will never go back to standard tuning. I use the 5 string ProSteels and just toss the G.