1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4 string detuned as a fake 5 string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Crockettnj, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    i have an offbrand import 4string jazz bass that i use as my "bass-is" for experiemtntation. I installed a hipshot and dislike it.

i am contemplating tuning it BEAD so i could pull in some low low end.

anythoughts on alternative tunings (other than jsut e to D) , string gauges that work best, and ANYTHING related you have tried would be MUCH appreciated.

i play mostly rockish/pop stuff, but i tend to "dig in " pretty good, so messy strings are not appreciated here.

thanks

2. stevo4

stevo4

Jun 6, 2005
    just buy 5 string strings i guess u get those without detuning and it would sound better

3. I don't see why BEAD wouldn't work if you use gauges usually found on a 5-string.

I am thinking along these lines myself and I will try DGCF tuning with a heavy 4-string set. I don't like Drop D tuning since I am used to EADG tuning, and DGCF would preserve the relation between strings. I haven't actually tried anything yet though, sorry.

4. The BEAD strings may be too thick for the string nut on the 4-string, though.

5. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I tune to CGCF on a 4 string. Right now I use a .125-.95-.70-.55. I buy more than one pack and then either put the other strings on other basses or just sell them. This is on a 34" scale bass. The bigger strings along with a good set up sound really good. The larger guage is a lot tighter and you can hear it in the sound. I used to use a .115 top string, and when I bumped up I noticed I had more clear, defined lows and they were much more consistant without having to apply the perfect touch each time. I play fast music, it's hard to be gentle.

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    True. You will need to file the nut for the larger gauge strings.

I ran my Innovator four string with a five string set. I just toss the G string. I used 65-85-105-125 Black Diamonds. Loved it so much that when I finish up the refinish I'll probably go back to it again.

Also, this has been talked about a bunch of times. If you type in BEAD in the search feature you will finds lots of info on this subject.

7. I tune my bass BEAD and I had to file on the nut as well as the bridge. I love this and I will never go back to standard tuning. I use the 5 string prosteels and just toss the G.