4 String Fretless under $1000?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ii7-V7, Sep 17, 2005.

1. ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    What are your favorites?

I'm looking to pick up one soon and need some opinions about what to check out. There aren't that many stores in my area, so if I'm going to make a trip to the store then I want to know ahead of time what to look for.

***Added specifications below***
  2. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    I recently bought a fretless Warwick Corvette at Guitar Center for about $750. I'm pleased with it. Try that.
  3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Yeah the corvettes are pretty cool! I have one of the really olf corvettes back before you could get them in the states. I looooove her! ;)
  4. Ohmslaw

Aug 24, 2005
    I'm getting a Traben Chaos fretless 5 string for $320.00 delivered to my door. They also make a four string.
  5. TBer snyderz has a sweet Stambaugh fretless for sale for well under a thou. I just grabbed a Dean Edge 4; they're WAY under your budget, & play very nicely. The Dean's tone is different but IMO equal to my(just left in a trade)Rebop 5.
  6. ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I tried a Warwick Corvette today. I like them, but they are just too heavy...the corvettes do balance better than the thumbs, but I can't see myself playing one for any length of time. I traded my thumb 5 for that very reason.

I'll have to check out Stambaugh, and Traben....never heard of them. Whats a rebop?

Carvin.....I may go that route. Any idea what the heel is like on the bolt ons? If I did get one I would probably pay the extra money for the LB70 model.

I guess I should have given some more specifications. I am looking for a four string fretless that balances well, doesn't wiegh more than 12 lbs. max, has access to the whole neck and has a full two octave board. I would really love to find one with either a Piezo bridge, or an EQ with sweepable mids....both if there is anything out there like that. Whew! Thats a tall order I know.

Anything that fits that bill? I'd be willing to budge on some of those specs, but that is what I'm hoping for.

7. ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Jonas-oxide...thats a pretty bass. If I had the money with me now I'd consider it.

The other Stambaugh's on thier website were in the $1400 to $1600 range.

I didn't like the look of the trabens....a little too much metal for me!

Its looking like the Carvins are leading the list. Anyone know what the heel of the Bolt ons looks like? Are they Fender blocky style?