Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 string fretted straight to 6 string fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fawkes007, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Anyone ever do something like this? What were your results?

2. Didn't Les Claypool do that? I vaguely recall him saying in an interview it was hard, but who's Les Claypool? :eyebrow: Seriously, don't be afraid- get an instrument that's hard to play, laugh at your mistakes & move on. Just one old dude's advice.

3. I concur @ Claypool.

4. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Go For it!

5. Aerolithe

Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    Do it, it'll be tough for a while but you'll live. I made the switch from fretted to fretless after playing bass for like 9 or 10 months and it really wasn't hard at all on a lined instrument, so if you're anything like me it'll be just slightly harder than moving from fretted 4 to fretted 6. Sure theres a chance you'll do horrible, but if you don't you saved a bunch of time and money and you get bragging rights.

6. gravaged

gravaged

Dec 9, 2005
    Alabama
    Well I switched from 4-string to 6-string (i kept the frets though).. within a day of getting my 6 I was playing it with the band. The size wasn't a problem to me and I am a borderline midget. Interesting feeling though, after playing the new 6er for only a couple of days and then you go back to a 4-string or a 6-string guitar, and it feels insignificant in your hand :p

7. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I also went from fretted 4 to fretted 6. It took me about 2-3 weeks before I felt real comfortable with playing the right string. I gigged with it within 4 weeks and did really well. My advice is that once you get the six string, put your 4 under the bed and don't play it for at least 2 months. If you keep switching back and forth, the learning curve for the six will be much greater. After that you will be able to switch back and forth.

Have fun.

8. si_fi

si_fi

May 4, 2005
    London, England
    i was lent a fretless 6 earlier in the year for about 6 months.....all my previous experience like yourself was with 4 string fretted (apart from some fretless tryouts and 5 string mess abouts in music stores). My personal approach was to lokk at is as an entirely diferent instrument (as guitar is to bass), so then you arent bringing you bass playing prejudices or bias with you; leaving it at the door so to speak.....it took a good few weeks (just under a month) of constant practicng to feel comfortable to attempt gigging with it. i then pretty much played solidly for the 6 months i had it, finding any excuse to use it, i found the low B far more useful than i thought (especially for female-led worship music) and eventually worked out how to groove on that thing, the high string was great for fills and and the more lyrical side of my playing, and i found myself using both the two extra strings..........i have diverted, and alas, that was almost 3/4 months ago now.....i am now saving for one myself.
    all i can say is if you are prepared to put the time and effort rquired to do it then go for it, but remember to approach it in the same way ou would your standard 4 string fretted.....hope that in between my ramblings of 6-string fretless romanticisms there is some helpful content.
    Take Care

Si

9. i went from 5 string fretted to 6 string fretless, hjust keep playing u will pick it up ;-)

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

A friend of mine went from four string fretted to five string fretless and was happy he did. I'm sure you'll feel the same about your move to six string fretless. Have fun!