Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4-String Market Glut?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickbass, Feb 10, 2001.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

With some many people going to more than four, I'm wondering if anyone besides me has seen a lot of high end 4's available at good prices, (IMO)? Especially, since market wide trends always seem to start with high end gear.

Here's a few examples I've seen very recently;

> new Salas Flame Custom w/Basslines Music Man-type pups & Barto' preamp; $919

> new Spector NS2000; $595

> used G&L Interceptor fretless; $895

> used Status Energy; $795

> new Overwater Progress Deluxe; $1946

> new MM StingRay; $799

> MTD Grendel quilt/flame top $965

Haven't looked at 4's much for several months but these seemed a lot lower than I remember.

2. a new 'ray for $799? im saving my money :)! I always thought they were a LOT more than that!

3. rickbass

Liz- That one is/was at bassalone.com. It's a `95 upgraded with Seymour Dunclan Basslines. Check it out.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    rickbass1, here's my theory on the prices: it's much easier to make ( or find) a quality four string than a five string so there's no need to spend big money if you don't want to.
    So the demand isn't as great for high end. Fours can also limit what you can play.

Getting a great B string, however is not as easy and those basses tend to be in demand. There are exceptions, the MTD K5 has a surprisingly nice B for the price. The Clover 5 I just got has easily one of my favorite B's ever and it wasn't cheap to build.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    rickbass1, here's my theory on the prices: it's much easier to make ( or find) a quality four string than a five string so there's no need to spend big money if you don't want to. So the demand isn't as great for high end. Fours can also limit what you can play.

Getting a great B string, however is not as easy and those basses tend to be in demand. There are exceptions, the MTD K5 has a surprisingly nice B for the price. The Clover 5 I just got has easily one of my favorite B's ever and it wasn't cheap to build.

6. rickbass

Clover, Brad?!?! mmmmmmmmmyeah!!!!

I also saw a Salas Custom Canarywood 5 with Gotoh soapbars, Gotoh preamp, and coil taps for $880. (Where the hell was it when I was looking for one?) But that was a freak. The rest of the 5's were pretty much as one would expect, mucho dinero.

I know what you mean about building 5's or more. When I bought mine, those I considered had to be neck thru's with 5-piece necks and strings-thru-body, among other requirements.

[Edited by rickbass1 on 02-11-2001 at 02:52 AM]