1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4 String to 6 String (is it easy)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Martha01, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Martha01

Martha01

Sep 20, 2002
    those who learned to play 4strings is it easy to then go and play 6 string can anyone tell me is there any famous bass player who still play with four strings??

2. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    a famous bassist who plays 4 strings? well...change the channel to mtv...there's a whole bunch. is it easy to switch from 4 string to 6? i did. it didn't seem too difficult to me

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Easy? Depends on what you compare it to. I didn't think it was a big deal, and if you don't get it immediately, you will eventually. If a 6'er is what you want, buy one, and start practicing.

And yes, there are lots of famous bassists who play four strings.

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I think the biggest adjustment going from a 4 to 6 was more narrow string spacing (in most cases) and cleaning up on muting techniques

As far as famous players that still use a 4, I've never seen Geddy Lee with anything but a 4. Well...unless you count the Rickenbacker Doubleneck! :p

And there are countless others who prefer a 4 for their weapon of choice.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

After playing a 4 for over 10 years, I bought a 6 and gigged with it the week that I bought it. YMMV

6. Zack! Come home for dinner!:D