Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 String to 6 String (is it easy)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Martha01, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Martha01

Martha01

Sep 20, 2002
    those who learned to play 4strings is it easy to then go and play 6 string can anyone tell me is there any famous bass player who still play with four strings??

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    a famous bassist who plays 4 strings? well...change the channel to mtv...there's a whole bunch. is it easy to switch from 4 string to 6? i did. it didn't seem too difficult to me

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Easy? Depends on what you compare it to. I didn't think it was a big deal, and if you don't get it immediately, you will eventually. If a 6'er is what you want, buy one, and start practicing.

And yes, there are lots of famous bassists who play four strings.

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I think the biggest adjustment going from a 4 to 6 was more narrow string spacing (in most cases) and cleaning up on muting techniques

As far as famous players that still use a 4, I've never seen Geddy Lee with anything but a 4. Well...unless you count the Rickenbacker Doubleneck! :p

And there are countless others who prefer a 4 for their weapon of choice.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

After playing a 4 for over 10 years, I bought a 6 and gigged with it the week that I bought it. YMMV

6. Zack! Come home for dinner!:D