Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4-string two-octave fretless bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by btrag, May 4, 2005.

1. btrag

btrag

Mar 7, 2005
    Chicago
    Ok, I have the criteria set exactly for the fretless bass that I'd like, but, can find nothing. It must have:
    1. Four strings
    2. 24 fret (two octave) neck
    3. Some sort of fret markings
    4. 24 fret must be very accessible!
    5. Must not be a Warwick
    6. Under $1K

I can't find a thing! The closest I came was the Warwick Corvette, which I hated (bad neck dive, couldn't access 24th fret well). Does any bass hit the nail on the head for my criteria?

2. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Buddy, there is just such a bass out there! and I happen to be looking at getting one myself:

a Shecter Stiletto Studio. Fretless with lines, 24 "frets"-accesible, priced new around $650. Anf they are even neck-though. They seem to enjoy a good reputation as well.

I haven't had the chance to try one yet, but the only thing that has me thinking is that I like passive fretlesses, not active (especially not EMGs) -- but that is not a big deal.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=110

Good luck.

I'll post reviews if I happen to purchase one soon.

3. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    if rockbass doesnt count as warwick then go for the corvette, mine doesnt have much neck dive.

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    A Carvin LB20 or LB70 will be a little bit over your limit, but you can definitely get the specs you want, plus a little more.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I don't want you to compromise your specs, but as someone who used to obsess with two octave necks, let me tell you, at least from my experience, that most notes above the 12th fret will hardly, if ever need to be played and the ones above the 20th fret much less.

Like others mentioned, Carvin is a good option in your price range. Spector might have something too.

All I know is that if you were willing to compromise on the number of frets, you could get yourself a Music Man.

6. not true, LB70 is about $800 when you include options, shipping and case. The LB20 is about $60 cheaper but IMO i think the active electronics is worth it.

http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=LB70

the fret line option is an extra $15 the dot inlays are an extra $10 on top of taht, prices went up since i bought my LB76F last year, I have the dot inlays, they look exactly like a freted instrument

the 24th frets are very easily accesable

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I wholeheartedly agree: Carvin is definitely the way to go. Due to their precise construction methods and close tolerances, the fretless basses may be even better than their fretted instruments. And their fretted basses are quite nice indeed...

MM

8. also if you go with carvin i must recomend to get the tun oil finish on the back of the neck, my used carvin LB75 doesn't have this, but my own custom LB76F has is it, and let me tell you it is worth it! it makes it much more comfortable to have ur thumb on the back of the neck. Much smoother then the default neck back which is the same as the rest of the body, and unless you get a wood finish it is glossed. Like most of their options the price has gone up $20 from when I bought my bass last year, but I would easily pay $50 for this feature, it's worth it in my opinon.

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    If you hunt you might be able to find a Pedulla Buzz for about a grand used, thats what I paid for mine. New they push 3G's but they've been around a while, if your patient they do exist and there certantly a notch above the other instruments on this thread and they are 24 fret with great upper neck access.

10. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I have the matte satin on body and neck, and I love it. Not sure what tung oil is like, but I'm sure it's even better. I tell ya, satin is sooo superior to gloss for non-exotic tops.

11. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Ibanez SR300DX Fretless Electric Bass Guitar

24 Fret with fretlines, 4 strings, not a Warwick, $280.00 brand new.

That's all your specs, right?